Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Big Decision... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1290547-big-decision.html)

nodesy 01-12-2014 09:20 AM

Further diagnosis intended

Thanks everyone for the great input. One thing I will say - no one has recommended the swap. In response to the fact that I need to do some further investigation, I fully intend to do a thorough diagnosis. What I am definitely trying to avoid is performing repairs and then having to tear the thing apart again because of other problems not as obvious.

I have the Excursion parked at the welder's place at the moment - installing bumpers. I will get it back shortly and begin to take a look and upload photos as I go.

Just to get an idea, at what point should I abandon the current motor and acquire a re-manufactured engine or do the swap?

Thanks again, everyone.

04badford 01-12-2014 09:44 AM

Do you have the Early or late built 6.0L ? , I think Anthony and M-Chan commented on the Swap should stay with the configuration , Something that will Determine if motor should go any further is to pull the Heads/Head and Take a look for the Damage just the tip was broke off and ( Maybe you got lucky enough that the Engine was shut down and not re started ) ( If the rest of the truck was Properly Maintained), I don't see a reason to dump it yet. I hope this gives you a little light at the End of the tunnel to look at , but right now digging in and looking wont cost anything but Time :-X22
BTW what Injector # and Brand it that?

nodesy 01-12-2014 09:59 AM

#1 injector. Stock injector. Think it is late model 2003 (in a 2004 Excursion)http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6752d0c2.jpg

04badford 01-12-2014 10:08 AM

Yes ICP is under the Turbo and not in the Valve cover, Bummer, but that's still ok . it has a Strong EGR cooler and some good parts left . Benny ( Blades is the 03 guy ) lets see if he can chime in

Unrealo4 01-12-2014 10:23 AM

Take off the head and see if it caused major damage. If not you could replace a injector and laugh all the way to the bank. People are afraid of the 6.0 alot of times they say the motors fried and it turns out its a injector or two and a new ficm.

mhoefer 01-12-2014 10:37 AM

Look up grafting a cummins into a SD. It can be done with a lot of money, you need a new dash, all electronics, power steering is different, transmission and drive shaft, as well as a new steering column to name a few major barriers. It's easily a $10,000 job all is said and done and working properly and safely. And you will still have an old and likely tired cummins which will at some point require some repair over time. More repair than fixing this Ex right. Even if you put a brand new Ford long block in, you have no difficulty connecting it back in to existing systems, everything is meant to work together. When you get this done you will have one sweet Excursion, king of the SUVs, with the beast of a 6.0 inside too. Do it right, and you will be happy with the results. Good luck with your project, we would love to get updates and pictures of your progress.

m-chan68 01-12-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mhoefer (Post 13945072)
Look up grafting a cummins into a SD. It can be done with a lot of money, you need a new dash, all electronics, power steering is different, transmission and drive shaft, as well as a new steering column to name a few major barriers. It's easily a $10,000 job all is said and done and working properly and safely. And you will still have an old and likely tired cummins which will at some point require some repair over time. More repair than fixing this Ex right. Even if you put a brand new Ford long block in, you have no difficulty connecting it back in to existing systems, everything is meant to work together. When you get this done you will have one sweet Excursion, king of the SUVs, with the beast of a 6.0 inside too. Do it right, and you will be happy with the results. Good luck with your project, we would love to get updates and pictures of your progress.

My sentiments EXACTLY.:-X22

Rusty Axlerod 01-12-2014 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by nodesy (Post 13944826)

Just to get an idea, at what point should I abandon the current motor and acquire a re-manufactured engine or do the swap?

Thanks again, everyone.

I would expect piston/rings on that cyl to be unuseable. Maybe connecting rod also. Cylinder head is a large expense if it's cracked, add that to crank journal out of round or cylinder wall damage requiring boring the block and replacement starts looking like a money saver. Inspect cam lobes and the rollers tips on the lifters also. Not likely damaged by injector failure but a common wear/fail part.

run6.0run 01-12-2014 11:52 AM

I might've missed it,, but are you going to be doing your own work? I have no experience with Asheville engines. But I have had my hands on two other companies engines,,, and they were a letdown. If you go with replacement,, I would say go Ford,, or don't go at all. If you tear it down yourself, you could have the rods checked, they are less than 100 each if the offending one is bent, Boring should run about $35 a bore,, you could check the heads,, they are roughly $1000 each from Ford. The short block would be about $5k,, $6k total with one new head. That adds up fairly quick. It all depends if you are comfortable doing the work yourself. With no labor costs, the overhaul kit would be the most economical choice. It comes with both 20 & 18 mm head gaskets,, so you could prob sell the 20mm set for a couple hundred and recoup a lil $$$. The major bonus is the overhaul kit wouldn't nickel n dime you getting all the little stuff to finish the job. If you have a crankshaft issue(which I doubt), then the budget would be blown and a shortblock would be the next option.

Unrealo4 01-12-2014 12:49 PM

Theres a 2008 6.0 in a craiglist type add right now for $1700 170k miles. Comes with everything although its from a van so you would have to use your oil cooler setup.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=28317536
Or this one for $2500 he said it ran fine. But it sounds like it needs hg and studs done.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=27137535

BLADE35 01-12-2014 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mustang_309 (Post 13943870)
Have you done a compression test to verify that it in fact needs a rebuild? It looks like most of the injector tip is there and what is gone looks to have melted. .

This^^^^^

I agree the inject looks intact and been Hit with a Foreign object

Maybe the Glow Plug tip broke off or the wrong Size GP was installed IDK all the technicalities what year got what Glow Plug But I do know theres 2 sizes for 6.0L that changes at some point thru 6.0L prodution

Or there is a Foreign Object in the cylinder

Im with the Camp of Repair what you Have

If you swap powertrains that's got to be the Most Expensive Most Problematic and you will have a Animal that Basicaly nobody will touch if it needs work since its a Hybrid

But I know theres a certain amount of guys that don't care about any of that Its more of a thing that they want to Prove to the world that they can put a Cummins into a Ford regaurdless of the reprocussion and make it work. Maybe it makes them feel like the Ultimate Mechanic when they accomplish something like this because its so rarely Done And then they are in a Class that they accomplished what Very few have done and How well it all works is Basicaly Irrelevant

If you want a Cummins I think you would be FAR Better Off to just sell the Ford and Buy a Dodge with the Cummins

nodesy 01-13-2014 10:41 PM

I will be the first to tell you that I am not a master mechanic and I certainly have nothing to prove. I know enough to be dangerous and don't like to pay any more than I need to so I typically do all projects myself. As I mentioned before, the goal is practicality and longevity. The Excursion will be mostly just hauling me and my family around -nothing fancy. So reliability and fuel economy would be nice.

Today I called Ford to price out a new long block 6.0. Haven't heard back yet. Is it worth just getting all other components with it? Turbo, fuel system, etc... I am definitely doing the EGR delete during this project.

Of course, this all hinges on the diagnosis of the old motor. Will still be a week or so before I get to look at it...

Thanks again everyone for all the input. I am feeling the love.

Unrealo4 01-13-2014 11:23 PM

A ford long block is $12k, short block is $6.5k+. That does not include installation.

Toreador_Diesel 01-14-2014 11:17 AM

IF it were me, here's how I'd do things especially if I either planned on doing my own work or having a shop do it:

Sell the Dodge, take the money from the Dodge and Freshen up the engine. It's not worth the trouble and expense of doing a Cummins swap.

I had Powerstroke Enginuities pull my engine, go through it, replace and upgrade what needed to be done so I wouldn't have to think about it and just drive the truck.

The only reason I paid $4K for my engine work is becuase I had a VERY reputable shop do the work since I didn't have the equipment or know how to pull the engine. Otherwise, it would've cost me MAYBE $2000 in parts, if that...

Have your engine freshened up and upgraded, you'll spend way less money and come out ahead.

nodesy 01-14-2014 05:49 PM

Just got a quote for the full assembled engine - $13K. Additional $2,000 for install. Insane.