Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Those little green boxes... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1284018-those-little-green-boxes.html)

jvmcc 12-09-2013 01:02 PM

Those little green boxes...

Okay, maybe I am just not very observant, but I just noticed those little green boxes under the names of posters on threads. These boxes are supposedly a rating of a poster's reputation. Now, I'm a nice guy. I have never ever posted a disparaging word. Admittedly, I ask a lot more questions than I answer. But that alone shouldn't reflect negatively on a persons reputation. In my own case, the single box I have indicates that I've got a positive reputation (so far). That would suggest that here's no where to go but down. So, though my reputation is not (yet) sullied, I suddenly feel a sort of responsibility to myself to do what I can to improve my status. What's a person got to do to earn more green boxes? Are there negative boxes? Maybe red ones for really nasty posters? I notice that even supporting members with over 1000 posts still have only two green boxes under their name. It looks like two boxes mean that a person is working on their reputation. So, how's all this work? What's it all mean?

Doc 12-09-2013 01:16 PM

Considering you just typed all that out, I gave you a rep point. :)

Grubbworm 12-09-2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jvmcc (Post 13824838)
Okay, maybe I am just not very observant, but I just noticed those little green boxes under the names of posters on threads. These boxes are supposedly a rating of a poster's reputation. Now, I'm a nice guy. I have never ever posted a disparaging word. Admittedly, I ask a lot more questions than I answer. But that alone shouldn't reflect negatively on a persons reputation. In my own case, the single box I have indicates that I've got a positive reputation (so far). That would suggest that here's no where to go but down. So, though my reputation is not (yet) sullied, I suddenly feel a sort of responsibility to myself to do what I can to improve my status. What's a person got to do to earn more green boxes? Are there negative boxes? Maybe red ones for really nasty posters? I notice that even supporting members with over 1000 posts still have only two green boxes under their name. It looks like two boxes mean that a person is working on their reputation. So, how's all this work? What's it all mean?

I did as well.:-X22

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 13824877)
Considering you just typed all that out, I gave you a rep point. :)

jvmcc 12-09-2013 01:26 PM

Thanks, Doc (six boxes!!!)

FortyNiner 12-09-2013 01:27 PM

Reputation on FTE, like reputation IRL, is all about what you bring to tbe party: asking questions as you begin is complete understandable. As you gain experience with your truck, you'll be able to contribute - giving back as you are able. This is a fairly tolerate forum. Be pleasant company and don't over think most issues cause we're mostly guys, right?

DW

jvmcc 12-09-2013 01:29 PM

Doc and Grub, I wasn't looking for any sort of unearned credit here. I was just curious what it all means. That's not to say that the boost to my self esteem is unappreciated.:-X03

Rimrock F1 12-09-2013 01:39 PM

Thank's for the reminder about doing that. I sometimes get so busy reading and answering I forget about it. I just took a look at some of your old posts and added to your reputation.

At this rate you will max out on green boxes in no time :D

raytasch 12-09-2013 01:44 PM

I'll give reps for such a long time site member and stated question. Yes, there are negative points, not often given that I am aware of. Much has been covered above. I believe if someone takes time to answer a question in detail, post a picture, especially multiple pictures of a build or something of interest to most, they should get rep points. And, I'll give reps to someone when they answer someone else's question. Go here if you want to learn more about how reps work. The thread gets out of control but you'll get the idea. Remember, too, a thousand reps and a dollar will still get you a cup of coffee, some places.:D
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-history.html

4tl8ford 12-09-2013 02:14 PM

I give rep points to those that answer questions in detail or for asking a question that needs an answer or causes an in depth discussion and better understanding.
I have negative rep points due to the fact that I can be a butthole with some folks that I think need to be called out
I haven't sought out either one and I take what I get
The only problem that I have with the system is that if I give someone a rep point for a post and want to give another point for a different I'm not allowed to - They say That I have to spread them around - If I could I would give FTE a negative point for them not allowing me to give credit to those that deserve it

underthebridgejim 12-09-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 13824965)
I'll give reps for such a long time site member and stated question. Yes, there are negative points, not often given that I am aware of. Much has been covered above. I believe if someone takes time to answer a question in detail, post a picture, especially multiple pictures of a build or something of interest to most, they should get rep points. And, I'll give reps to someone when they answer someone else's question. Go here if you want to learn more about how reps work. The thread gets out of control but you'll get the idea. Remember, too, a thousand reps and a dollar will still get you a cup of coffee, some places.:D

That's a great link about reps, thanks Ray

Harrier 12-09-2013 02:26 PM

Well I just gave you a rep point just to try it out. I don't think I have given rep points before. I guess I should, but I don't know that it does anything for anybody. I guess it helps if you are reading posts to know if the person should be listened to? It is usually obvious when you read the posts. :)

That being said, some guys can rub folk the wrong way with how they respond, but almost always those posts are really of a desire to help and the person offended didn't read it as it was meant. If they were to look at rep point it might help....but those folk probably don't look at rep points though.....

As much help as I have gotten, I need to spend a year or two just adding rep points to you guys.

WALFORD'S 56 12-09-2013 03:27 PM

I gave you a rep, also.

AXracer 12-09-2013 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 13824965)

WOW! 409 pages of posts on meaningless rep points.:-huh I though some of the inane topics on this forum got a lot of posts. :-X03
I've never seen any way to give anything but + rep points, not that it would really mater..

WALFORD'S 56 12-09-2013 05:16 PM

Ax, matter is spelled with 2 t's......please send me reps....haha

Harrier 12-09-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by AXracer (Post 13825503)
WOW! 409 pages of posts on meaningless rep points.:-huh I though some of the inane topics on this forum got a lot of posts. :-X03
I've never seen any way to give anything but + rep points, not that it would really mater..

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56 (Post 13825685)
Ax, matter is spelled with 2 t's......please send me reps....haha

Bill, you have to quote AX, like this, so he can't correct the spelling mistake and it will forever be enshrined in these pages. }>
Of course he could have been talking about how Tow Mater from Cars thinks about things.