Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   F26E rear tank questions (f26d also) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1272344-f26e-rear-tank-questions-f26d-also.html)

UNTAMND 10-09-2013 06:10 PM

F26E rear tank questions (f26d also)

I was searching for an affordable place to buy the big f26 tank, and come across a place called genesis that had the tank for $82. I still need to price shipping, but it's by far way cheaper than anyplace else.

Has anyone used this tank before...
1987 Ford F-150 GAS FUEL TANK GAS49759XTF26E | Gas Fuel Tank | Ford Auto Parts

I'm curious if it comes with the same "installation kit" as the spectra tank does.
I'm going to try to call them tomorrow, but working two jobs makes it tough to call during their business hours.

From what I've read, the f26e tank is the same as the f26d tank only it doesn't have a baffle in the filler hole... Can anyone confirm this.
When others used the f26d, did you remove this baffle.

Thanks guys.

DBGrif91 10-09-2013 06:55 PM

I can't confirm the numbers for you, but I wanted to give you a tip on shipping: get package insurance!!! For most packages it's less than $5, if not, then certainly under $10.

I've worked in the shipping industry for a total of 10 years. I've worked the package (UPS) and freight side of shipping, and the bottom line is: damages happen. Sometimes it's preventable, sometimes not, but they do happen. In most cases, it's because the SHIPPER did not take the time to properly package the item.

I do not know what the packaging practices are for Genesis, but even careful packaging isn't a guarantee against shipping damage. Something like that gas tank can easily get dented in transit, and then you sign for a package that looks good on the outside, but then you open it up to find that it's been damaged. However, since you signed for it as is, guess what? You're out of luck, and it's up to you to repair or replace the tank.

Again, I don't know their packaging practices, I just want you to be aware that it can be damaged, and if you're not careful it will be up to you to deal with it. I understand it's a hassle, but before you order, call them and ask what they offer for shipping protection.

That's all I've got.

Bob Gervais 10-10-2013 04:59 AM

If you click the "add to cart" button, the next page has a shipping calculator. Looks like it's about $22.

I used an F26E, and removed the baffle. Super easy to do, it's just a round piece of pipe that's tack welded onto the filler tube hose connection.

UNTAMND 10-10-2013 07:49 PM

I called the place today in morning, then realized they are in California.
Anyway, the girl had a guy in warehouse go grab a tank and check to see it it had any install kit and it DID NOT.
Oh well. Even with $20 shipping it's still 50-70$ cheaper than eBay and 100$ cheaper than local. I can get the tubing and fittings at hardware store with the money saved.
I think its worth it, and easier to justify replacing a perfectly good tank.