Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Help Solve this !! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1258770-help-solve-this.html)

MadMatt65 08-02-2013 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by White 97 xlt (Post 13396250)
I got you beat, google maps says I am 2600+ miles and 38 hrs away!!! }>

Sorry, I got that one beat!! 3300 miles and 48 hours!!! I do have a brother in Tacoma though. I wish I could go up there...I need a vacation! And right now it is HOT here!! 90's everyday with heat index of 105-110! :-X18 Gotta love Florida!!

BruteFord 08-02-2013 03:43 PM

Sounds like I'm closest, would be a little while before it's in the cards for me to head up. I'll be in Monroe with my tools anyway on the 24th. So maybe after if not solved by then.

TeresaAnn if you get in 4 more posts and you should be able to PM(private message) or add an email address to the system here to contact you that way.

In the mean time on the Bronco, it sounds like it would move under it's own power if you put it in 4wd(low) hard to say what the rear end will do, sounds like it would just try, make noise, and drag that tire. No worries, if it's broken then nothing more to hurt, if not then it will be just fine, you can likely drive it just enough to get it to a better spot to work on it.

Then if you can manage, just start taking it apart, take pics, and post what you find. Your not going to do any harm unbolting things. Just be safe with yourself.

White 97 xlt 08-02-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by MadMatt65 (Post 13397210)
Sorry, I got that one beat!! 3300 miles and 48 hours!!! I do have a brother in Tacoma though. I wish I could go up there...I need a vacation! And right now it is HOT here!! 90's everyday with heat index of 105-110! :-X18 Gotta love Florida!!

Dang, I didn't hold that title long did I? }>

Well, it's OK, it got this thread back to the top...............

Black Ford XLT 08-03-2013 01:44 PM

Fyi , on my 1985 f150 I had the break cables rust to the inner metal jacket, it was the same symptons , so rule out your brakes first Hope this helps TR

bigzirb 08-12-2013 08:32 PM

BUMP!

Originally Posted by MadMatt65 (Post 13397210)

You got me beat, but only by 90 min and 110 miles...

TeresaAnn, any updates? Wondering if you have gotten to check it out.
My first 78 Bronco had the rear explode when I was backing out of a parking place and threw it into drive while still rolling backwards. Not the most stressful thing you can do but it was the straw that broke the bearing caps, into 3 pieces. We pulled the dropout centersection and replaced it with a junkyard unit for about $300. That was almost 20 years ago but it shows you can do it. Let us know what you find out.

TeresaAnn 08-12-2013 09:14 PM

well.. The last two weeks haven't been the best. I did find someone that was willing to come look at it to see what he thought, he needed gas money which i was happy to pay for. But last tuesday night, I had to put down one of my Great Danes very unexpectantly. which was almost 650.00 needless to say, the bronco (and gas money) has been put on the back burner.
Im ready for a streak of good luck, good news, ... hell something good to come my way. Dont think I can take much more. I will let you all know as soon as I find something out. If I had a jack, I would start.. But with my luck, I would be crushed. :-X15

bigzirb 08-12-2013 09:35 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your Great Dane. Please make sure you have all of the safety gear in place before you start working under any vehicle. Get it on solid ground and use 2 sets of jack stands. The $30 you spend for a set is the cheapest insurance I have ever found. Take your time and don't rush now, you will regret it later.

GruesomeJeans 08-12-2013 09:46 PM

Zirb is right, I had a tire fall off on HWY 167 going to work one morning. After getting it home I jacked it up and put it on stands BUT my mistake was the truck was on a hill and on gravel. I couldn't do anything about it due to that being the only place to park it. The bronco almost fell off the stands twice till I got several sections of wood under the stands to steady it. You just have to be careful, take your time, and do it right.I'd leave the wheel on till you absolutely HAVE to take them off. That way if you happen to be in the situation where the truck falls, the tires will stop it before anything bad happens.

Encho 08-13-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bigzirb (Post 13430315)
BUMP!

You got me beat, but only by 90 min and 110 miles...

TeresaAnn, any updates? Wondering if you have gotten to check it out.
My first 78 Bronco had the rear explode when I was backing out of a parking place and threw it into drive while still rolling backwards. Not the most stressful thing you can do but it was the straw that broke the bearing caps, into 3 pieces. We pulled the dropout centersection and replaced it with a junkyard unit for about $300. That was almost 20 years ago but it shows you can do it. Let us know what you find out.

Ma bishes, please...

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8285/njte.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:D

I'm sorry you're having a hard time Teresa, would be more than glad to help you out, anyway, your cheapest bet would probably be to replace the entire rear axle with a junkyard unit, I've heard Ford 9" (that's your rear axle) are rather inexpensive, I'm thinking around $200-$300. Have you posted at the WA Chapter yet? go here, I'm sure plenty of guys would be willing to help: Washington Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

It would be very easy for you to open the differential cover and maybe take some pictures of the inner side, then we will probably see any damage. Just keep in mind to have a recipient at hand that can take at least a gallon of diff. oil (there should be at least 1/2 a gallon in there, it will leak out as you loosen the cover).

ON EDIT: I already posted a thread for you, let's see if someone decides to volunteer.

MadMatt65 08-13-2013 12:03 PM

Hey TeresaAnn, sorry you're having some bad luck. It will get better. We had to put down our English Bulldog a few months ago and my wife was devastated! What ever you do when you start working on your Bronco....PLEASE be SAFE!!!
Take your time....it's not worth it to cut corners with safety items and damage your Bronco.....or yourself!!

fordfan32 08-13-2013 12:16 PM

Sounds like axle bearings in rear end or And it sounds sill but I've seen it three timeslot the last two years. The cheap sons of b!thches that make auto parts now get everything offshore. The quality is pathetic and they fail very quickly. All parts. But brake shoes come unbonded and ppl nearly die when their brakes pile up in the drum and lock the rear up. Just my thoughts without seeing it.

GruesomeJeans 08-13-2013 01:55 PM

Encho, thanks for linking her there, I put a link for this thread in our BS thread. A few people saw it but aren't in the area anytime soon.

gatorfor88 08-13-2013 03:50 PM

Just for the record encho, a ford 9" doesnt have a diff cover. The whole center section unbolts from the front and comes out. Cant check anything without removing the whole carrier.

GruesomeJeans 08-13-2013 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by gatorfor88 (Post 13432889)
Just for the record encho, a ford 9" doesnt have a diff cover. The whole center section unbolts from the front and comes out. Cant check anything without removing the whole carrier.

I think he knows that, but if not, you are correct. It is a win/lose situation. You win by being able to regear it on a bench but you lose because it's one heavy chunk coming down. Plus I don't think they have drain plugs so draining and re-filling could be troublesome.

Encho 08-13-2013 04:22 PM

I was thinking on the 8.8 when I wrote that, I do know the 9 has no cover.