Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Bright lights dont work (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1222052-bright-lights-dont-work.html)

caverjoe 02-07-2013 07:36 AM

Bright lights dont work

Well I am going down my country road last night and flipped the brights on and everything went dark.
The battery light had been flickering and the volt gauge running high when the bat light comes on. Last time that happened just meant the piece of crap NAPA Golds where going bad so I was just waiting for the slow crank, but that has not happend yet. Also kinda wiered.... when the battery light would stay on for a few seconds and the volt gauge would peg the electric windows would not work untill the light went out.
Got home late last night so did not try to search, searched for awhile this morning but couldnt find anything and I gottta go
Any ideas would be great.
thanks all
Joe

thomabb 02-07-2013 07:46 AM

Sounds like you have an intermittent short somewhere.

Is it just your high beams that don't work? They are on their own fuse. That is step one.

If all the lights went out and the truck kept running, that is more serious. Can you please clarify?

Smokiesman 02-07-2013 01:02 PM

I had the same problem on my 95 Mercedes and turned out to be the combo switch in the column! May not be the same for our trucks but ya never know??:-huh:-huh:-huh

Smokie

caverjoe 02-07-2013 08:15 PM

Well I found some time to poke around a little bit. I did not see anything obvious, checked the number 16 fuse it was fine. Been rainy here today so will have to find some time to look a little harder.
Too answer some previous questions.... only the high beams are not working. Truck kept running, the running lights stay on the highbeam indicator light on the dash comes on. I just loose all head lights when I switch to high beam, everything else seems to be working fine except the intermitent battery warning light.

puller45 02-08-2013 02:35 AM

Any possibility that one was already out and you didn't notice it till the other went? Not trying to be a wise a$$, just thinkin'.

mueckster 02-08-2013 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pdf of the Headlamp wiring. Attachment 68978

Smokiesman 02-08-2013 08:11 AM

I believe on our trucks it is called a multifunction switch !:-huh

Smokie

Rishsd 02-08-2013 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=Smokiesman;12814182]I believe on our trucks it is called a multifunction switch !:-huh

Smokie[/

BillyBob69 02-08-2013 08:57 AM

You did mention it has been raining the past few days....

Have you checked behind the fuse panel and the GEM to make sure you don't have the dreaded windshield leak and the GEM is getting wet?

thomabb 02-08-2013 09:05 AM

Does flash-to-pass work as it should? Flash-to-pass lights the high beams without killing the low beams or fog lights.

caverjoe 02-10-2013 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by thomabb (Post 12814370)
Does flash-to-pass work as it should? Flash-to-pass lights the high beams without killing the low beams or fog lights.

No it does not work either, I also noticed that the highbeam indicator on the insturment panel only comes on in the flash to pass and not when I flip to high beam. I have not checked for the leak, hopefully I will get some time tomorrow to look a little closer
thanks for all the advice

mueckster 02-10-2013 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by thomabb (Post 12814370)

Originally Posted by caverjoe (Post 12821391)
No it does not work either, I also noticed that the highbeam indicator on the insturment panel only comes on in the flash to pass and not when I flip to high beam. I have not checked for the leak, hopefully I will get some time tomorrow to look a little closer
thanks for all the advice

That sounds odd. Look at the wiring diagram. The LG/BK wire going to the High Beams also also feeds the High Beams Indicator bulb in the instrument cluster. If power is going to the Indicator, you SHOULD have power at the Headlamps, unless there is a wiring/bulb issue. Have you checked for Power at the bulb plug wiring in Flash-to-Pass or High Beam? If you do have Power, it appears that a bad Headlamp Ground circuit is allowing the Low Beams to ground back through the High Beam Indicator wiring. A bad Ground could also be the cause of your Battery Light problem. I would check out all your Grounds next.

caverjoe 02-10-2013 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the help. I am still trying to find some time to get in there. Cold/rainy weather has me behind with my business trying to catch up on the weekends.
I think I am going to look at getting all new cables, I dont like the condition that my ends are getting in.