Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   water pump problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1138157-water-pump-problems.html)

mater73 02-09-2012 08:55 PM

water pump problems

well today i was working on my bronco and i was taking the water pump off to replace it. everything was going smooth untill it came time to take the bolts off that hold the water pump on. the up side to this is that 4 out of the 7 came out with very little problems it took some sweet talking and a few squirts of pb blaster but the summited and came out. however the other three wanted to be a pain in the ass and break off. the good news is they broke where i can still get them out. i got them soaking in pb blaster now and im going to spray again tomorrow morning and through out the day and try to get it off tomorrow afternoon after i heat them up. so we will see if tomorrow is any better.

GruesomeJeans 02-09-2012 09:02 PM

Good luck friend :D Broken bolts can be a PITA if they really want to be.

Edgethis 02-09-2012 09:07 PM

I dread replacing my water pump because I figure that with my luck, every bolt will break off flush with the block. Good luck with your bolts, hope you can get them out without too much hassle.

GruesomeJeans 02-09-2012 09:09 PM

I think with mine if they did break flush, i would possibly have enough room to drill them a little to get a reverse bit on but i am not sure...

mater73 02-09-2012 09:19 PM

Yeah I got lucky they didn't break flush with the block. The only this is they are rusted really bad so I just hope they don't break anymore.

GruesomeJeans 02-09-2012 09:54 PM

Well one product to buy for that kind of thing is Seafoams Deep Creep. It works pretty well, me and EdgeThis like it. If PB works for you thats good too, i am armed to the teeth with WD-40, PB, and DC so bolts better fear my wrath }>

mater73 02-10-2012 05:01 AM

Thanks gruesome jeans I will get the DC today and add that to my arsonal.

b4hntn 02-10-2012 05:12 AM

I used a little heat and carefully turned back and forth to remove a couple of my bolts.

Edgethis 02-10-2012 06:43 AM

Deep Creep is Amazing! I recommend it for almost everything. Doesn't leave any residue or smell like PB Blaster and WD40

mater73 02-10-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by b4hntn (Post 11411403)
I used a little heat and carefully turned back and forth to remove a couple of my bolts.

so i have so far put pb blaster and sea foam DC on the broken bolts and i have also heated them up but im not sure if im heating them hot enough how hot should they get and did you use just a regular pair of vice grips? the vice grips that i have dont seem to be getting a good enough grip. is there another trick that you or anyone else on here knows?

AbandonedBronco 02-10-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Edgethis (Post 11411583)
Deep Creep is Amazing! I recommend it for almost everything. Doesn't leave any residue or smell like PB Blaster and WD40

PB Blaster smells like fermenting bananas... I'm not a fan.
Works well though.

b4hntn 02-10-2012 12:54 PM

I would let it cool again. Try to heat around the bolt, not the bolt. Try heating just the timing cover first and not the block until necessary. Heat the block cast iron slowly if necessary. I used regular vice grips as tight as I could get them and rocked them back and forth a little at a time.

mater73 02-10-2012 01:11 PM

Ok thanks I was heating the bolt that might of been my problem

critterf1 02-10-2012 03:54 PM

Get them hot and hit them with a hammer, most of the time this will loosen their grip.

mater73 02-10-2012 09:02 PM

well i had no luck today. i got map gas and was trying to heat with that but it wasnt getting anywhere near hot enough.. i also went as far as buy a hammer drill to try and get a grip on the broken bolts and that didnt even budge them. i have use alot of DC on them with no progress, and even hit them with a hammer. so tomorrow im going to have it towed to an automotive shop i have access to and maybe ill be able to get them off there and get it put back together and back on the road.