Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Flashing Over Drive Light, Dead Speedometer/Odometer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1131516-flashing-over-drive-light-dead-speedometer-odometer.html)

proggod 01-16-2012 11:47 PM

Flashing Over Drive Light, Dead Speedometer/Odometer

I reprogrammed my computer, to get rid of a bad tune with the Ford Program. After reprogramming, and entering in my tire size/gear size my speedometer and odometer no longer work. Also my overdrive light is flashing. Does this truck have a PSOM and could that be bad? What else could cause the problem, it definitely happened when it was flashed. Whats the cheapest way to fix it?

Bluegrass 7 01-17-2012 01:16 AM

Return to the stock program and consult the program vendor.
We have no way to provide any advice other than ask what trans code was triggered to see what part of the program was altered to cause the issues..
Even then what would you do about it but return to the stock program.
Good luck.

proggod 01-17-2012 08:44 AM

Flashing the computer to stock is what caused the issue, using the Ford program. By the ford program, I mean the same one the dealer uses. Dealer said it could bad dashboard, but would that make the overdrive light go on, and why would that go bad during programming?

92nite351 01-17-2012 11:49 AM

is the truck throwing any other code? start there and make sure all the systems are working.. if the speedsensor was bad the CEL would be on, if any of the circuits are bad CEL will be on..

Bluegrass 7 01-17-2012 01:20 PM

Well, you got into a situation by playing with the program.
It's no use asking questions why until after the situation is sorted out and you see what had to be done.
No one has all the answers at this point.
Start by trying to get the code for the transmission to see what might have been corrupted in the program or maybe there is a failure of coinidence.
If the PCM has been reflashes to stock, there should be no problem unless a failure has taken place with some other area.
The keys and Pats aso have to be reprogrammed seperate.
The OD lamp is flashed by the PCM from a logic set after it detects an issue coming back on the harness from the transmission that involoves the shift solenoids, lockup, the DTR, speed sensing and the temp sensor in the trans.
Good luck with it.

galaxie641 01-17-2012 01:58 PM

Is this a 99+?

proggod 01-17-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by galaxie641 (Post 11298628)
Is this a 99+?

Yes this is a 2002

The biggest question is does this truck have a PSOM, and is that part off the dashboard. Dealer said that dashboard needs to be replaced but would that trigger the overdrive light. If the PSOM is part of dash gauges I could see that being the problem, however if its not, then replacing the dash gauge pod would be a huge waste of money, and not fix the problem.

proggod 01-23-2013 09:42 PM

I have still yet to fix my issue, i don't suppose anyone has anything else to add? :)

MIKE 04 GT 01-24-2013 07:06 AM

i dont know about PSOM, but the OD flashing is like the Check engine Alight for the trans, try to figure out what the codes are for the transmission and go from there. i think your trans is fine since it started with the reprogram. what was wrong with the other program to make you reprogram?

Bluegrass 7 01-24-2013 01:47 PM

In my reply #5 I gave you the operation for the transmission.
There is no stand alone trans controller.
The PCM does all the monitoring of the electrical trans functions and reports via the shift lever light and PCM code.
As it is now, I fail to understand why the dash has to be 'replaced' just for a reflash unless some fault was proven with the dash.
Playing with aftermarket programs puts any user out on a limb with the hope nothing happens. Most are lucky but some are not.
Good luck.