Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   IS ANYBODY USING CYCLONE/TORNADO GAS SAVER ON 7.3L (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1088769-is-anybody-using-cyclone-tornado-gas-saver-on-7-3l.html)

A H DEVELOPMENT 08-04-2011 09:36 AM

IS ANYBODY USING CYCLONE/TORNADO GAS SAVER ON 7.3L

I was driving on the interstate yesterday when my cold side turdo tube blew:eek: out of its boot. To my surprise:-hair I found a CYCLONE gas saver installed. Should I remove it? My 2001 F350 7.3L DSL has operated fine for 100,000+ miles.

Thanks in advance FTE guys!!!!

TORNADO Air Management Systems :: More Power! More Mileage!

This is what was installed on my truck, by previous owner.

[IMG]file:///C:/My%20Documents/CYCLONE%20INTAKE.jpg[/IMG]

powerstroke72 08-04-2011 09:42 AM

Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

nlemerise 08-04-2011 09:54 AM

Read this...about half way down page one... In a word, yes, I would remove it.

twags6 08-04-2011 12:47 PM

Toss it. It does nothing but restrict the flow of air through the boot.

F350-6 08-04-2011 06:58 PM

Didn't Gene have one of those things and think it helped?

clux 08-04-2011 09:58 PM

Gene had a turbo air guide and swore by it.
Turbo Air Guide - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Pickup Truck - More Air Flow, More Power, Increased Fuel Mileage, Greater Performance --www.blackclouddiesel.com

I might have argued with him about a time or two...............:-innocent

SpringerPop 08-04-2011 10:38 PM

I would think that if that honeycomb material comes apart for any reason, your turbine blades have BIG problems!

I can't imagine that there is enough reduction to flow turbulence to allow a performance increase enough to overcome the loss produced by the cross-sectional resistance to flow.

Sorry. Got no graphs, charts, bells, whistles, or anything else to prove my thoughts.

Pop

Pitcrw6 08-05-2011 01:57 AM

I had one in both my X and F350 for a few yrs right when I bought them and didnt notice any difference so I removed them.

CSIPSD 08-05-2011 02:36 AM

That big spinny thing that makes all that noise will "spin" the air all you need.

hotroddsl 08-05-2011 04:43 AM

If those things worked as they said they do they would be OEM on every turbo-diesel made, as efficiency is king in this industry, as it ultimately results in lower emissions and higher power!
Jim:)...& fat Monty}>

DieselCamper01 08-05-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by hotroddsl (Post 10661554)
If those things worked as they said they do they would be OEM on every turbo-diesel made, as efficiency is king in this industry, as it ultimately results in lower emissions and higher power!
Jim:)...& fat Monty}>

Well said my friend...

nlemerise 08-05-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by clux (Post 10660968)
I might have argued with him about a time or two...............:-innocent

:-X24 many times...

farmb0y 08-05-2011 10:40 AM

I would agree with others here that it's a waste of money, but a fews years back I must have had money to waste. For some reason I bought an Air Cell intake spacer for my Kenworth, as seen here:
Fuel Saving Aircell Intake Spacers - IOWA80.COM

It had a money back guarantee, figured I'd try it and could return it when I saw no improvement. I honestly think it helped my truck pull a little harder, and I saw my mileage go up by .2 mpg. Yea it's not alot, but when you put a lot of miles under the tires it can start making a difference. I don't know how or why it made a difference or I felt a difference, but I left it in there. I did like that it didn't really "block" the intake, like that Cyclone does.

Then a year later I sold the truck and bought a new one with a bigger motor and now am getting better mpg than before with a lot easier pulling!!:-jammin

Mark Kovalsky 08-05-2011 05:29 PM

It did make a difference. You expected better fuel economy so you drove a little better to help it, whether you knew you were doing it or not. If you ran a scientific test like the link above you would have found that at best it didn't hurt you a lot. It certainly wasn't responsible for 0.2 MPG gains. Bad science doesn't work.

farmb0y 08-05-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 10663683)
It did make a difference. You expected better fuel economy so you drove a little better to help it, whether you knew you were doing it or not. If you ran a scientific test like the link above you would have found that at best it didn't hurt you a lot. It certainly wasn't responsible for 0.2 MPG gains. Bad science doesn't work.

When I fuel up every 2 days putting in close to 200 gallons each time and I consistantly have slightly better mileage than before, something made a difference. I drove it exactly the same as I always did, with the pedal to the floor cuz the trailer I was pulling would dog the crap out of my truck.

Scientific tests are great, but they are in a controlled environment. What about real world experience? If what I see in my "real world test" doesn't line up with what someone found in a "scientific test" in a lab, my results are automatically ruled out? Why?

I wouldn't buy it again, and I'm not saying for the OP to keep it in there. I'm just sharing my experiences.