Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   I did some towing yesterday (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1083583-i-did-some-towing-yesterday.html)

eatont9999 07-16-2011 09:45 AM

I did some towing yesterday

Hi all,

Yesterday was my move day and all my friends were at work, so there was no one to drive my little car to the new apartment. I went to U-haul and bought a hitch and ball and rented a tow dolly. I had already packed the bed of the truck with stuff and the car with mostly weapons. Yeah, I have A LOT of guns.

While driving, I knew I was towing something and while braking, I really knew I was towing. She made it, though.

Not just when towing but I am noticing some smoke when or if I accelerate off the line quickly and shaking at idle. My plague seems to be back. It shakes more if I am in gear. If I put it in neutral, it shakes less. I got a pulse timing adapter and #1 line from Oreo, so I can try timing it again. Thanks buddy!

Aune163rd 07-16-2011 10:14 AM

How new is the IP?

eatont9999 07-16-2011 12:05 PM

The IP and injectors are the old set. I have not installed the new ones a second time. The first time I did, there were some unknown to me issues and I wound up reinstalling the old set. I marked the old pump before uninstalling and reinstalled it at that same mark. I think it is timing related. I think the pump is severely retarded. I got the timing adapter and lines installed this morning. I threw the meter on it and it read -3.2 degrees. I advanced it a dime and a half and now it reads 1.1 degrees. I did set the meter to -20 degrees offset before plugging in the cables. Just to be double sure, it should be at 8.5 not -8.5, right? I don't want to blow a head gasket.

eatont9999 07-16-2011 12:19 PM

The IP and injectors have been rebuilt or replace at some point.

Marianna2003 07-16-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by eatont9999 (Post 10582723)
The IP and injectors are the old set. I have not installed the new ones a second time. The first time I did, there were some unknown to me issues and I wound up reinstalling the old set. I marked the old pump before uninstalling and reinstalled it at that same mark. I think it is timing related. I think the pump is severely retarded. I got the timing adapter and lines installed this morning. I threw the meter on it and it read -3.2 degrees. I advanced it a dime and a half and now it reads 1.1 degrees. I did set the meter to -20 degrees offset before plugging in the cables. Just to be double sure, it should be at 8.5 not -8.5, right? I don't want to blow a head gasket.

Check ths out: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...mp-timing.html

:-drink

Marianna2003 07-16-2011 03:52 PM

From FORDF250HDXLT signature:

'93 F250HD 4x4 Diesel, Dually, Dump, & Plow

http://avatars.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/s...ine=1310133629

:-drink

eatont9999 07-16-2011 06:35 PM

I read that article already. They are timing with a lumy probe. I have a pulse adapter now. I think I just need to advance it some more. It's getting pretty hard to turn and I already loosened the top injector lines on the pump.

FORDF250HDXLT 07-16-2011 09:25 PM

yes thats right.now that your timing with the pulse adapter,you will not be using the -ATDC,but the BTDC.
i knew all along you where being WAY to conservative on your timing.
make her rattle a little already would ya.:D
your going to find a WHOLE NEW ANIMAL under the hood once you advance that thing already.:)
it's a wonder the thing got out of its own way,let alone hauled some weight and towed a car! i sure hope you didn't have any hills.:D

man,you should put your new ip and injectors back in first,and then time it.
you'll think you just installed a whole spare engine in there.:D

eatont9999 07-17-2011 11:26 AM

I advanced it another dime's worth yesterday and the meter read 0.00. It might have been a negative 1.1 the first time. I took it for a test drive and it seems to smoke a light haze even on normal acceleration. It is probably still too retarded but I can't move the pump any more without loosening the lines on the bottom. The temps were normal during the drive so I will leave it like this until I install the new stuff again. The good thing is I don't notice much shaking at idle any more. I better order that injector I need.

eatont9999 07-17-2011 11:32 AM

This site has the cheapest price on a single injector. Has anyone done business with them before?

Diesel Care Inc

Also, is there a place where I can buy just the o-rings and washers? I don't need the lines, mine are new.

eatont9999 07-18-2011 12:30 AM

I put in an order with Diesel Care for a new Delphi BB code, return line kit and pump install kit. I got the install kit for the pump o-ring just in case my new one needs to be replaced.

I'll let everyone know how the products and service are.

eatont9999 07-20-2011 04:33 PM

Well, I got my order in today. I got my injector and two return line kits but no IP install kit. I don't think I'll need it but now that I said that...

snaponprofile 07-20-2011 07:31 PM

Did you have trailer brakes?

eatont9999 07-21-2011 11:07 AM

No, it was just a regular tow dolly from U-haul.