Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   LCD touch screen radio, dvd, gps. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1067397-lcd-touch-screen-radio-dvd-gps.html)

CrzHelm 05-16-2011 07:21 AM

LCD touch screen radio, dvd, gps.

alright been putting it off but now... Im ordering one these things and just making sure i make the right choice. I got trip coming up and my stock radio wont decide between cd and fm. pissing me off now.

$300 to spend for one of these chinese gadgets.
i have my eye on these 2
HD 6.2" TOUCH DOUBLE DIN GPS NAVIGATION CAR DVD PLAYER | eBay

3D 7" Touch Screen 2 Din Car Radio DVD Player GPS SAT | eBay
any of you gadget guys see anything wrong with them. maybe recommend a different one? which would you choose?

jh818 05-16-2011 08:22 AM

I remember seeing one that had the dual zone audio...meaning that you could have the rear speakers play the audio for the DVD, while the front play the radio and navigation directions. That way, the kids in the back can watch their shows and you can listen to music rather than listening to the movie.

I could not find it again on flea bay. I just thought that was an interesting feature. Maybe these units you are looking at has that, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Good luck. Let us know how either one of them turns out. I'm interested in getting one myself, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have my old Alpine in there and I have a separate GPS unit so it's really not urgent for me...

CrzHelm 05-16-2011 08:29 AM

Dual Zone

you know Ive thought about that, but really I just rather get a seperate ceiling dvd setup with wireless headsets for back there. I have that setup now in our honda odyssey had in our old 03 expedtion. I still think seperate is the way to go.

VR6Nutt 05-16-2011 09:28 AM

I've been wanting to do the same thing. But I wouldn't drop $300 on a Chinese-no-name radio. Do your homework on different, well known brands with a warranty. I know others here have done it and its really trick when its done right.

Misky6.0 05-16-2011 09:35 AM

This is a "someday" mod for me too.
From what I remember reading, these units have like 64MB of memory,
so it may not perform well enough.

Keep in mind $300 is LESS than 2 tanks of gas/fuel - don't skimp
on the entertainment center IMO.

Eric H 05-16-2011 01:02 PM

I've had one of the 7" players installed for a few months now. I have the version with out GPS. It works fine. There's nothing fancy about it, but it gets the job done. I have it feeding a flip down rear screen and am working on finishing a backup camera on a switch.

SkySkiJason 05-16-2011 01:27 PM

Don't expect the $300 unit to last more than a couple years without issues - just hope it lasts a few MONTHS. Personally, I'd spend 2x as much to get one that will last 4x as long.

I paid $500 for a used double-din Eclipse dual-disc DVD/NAV system over 3yrs ago and it still works like new... Someday I hope I find a deal like that for the X!!:-jammin

Eric H 05-16-2011 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason (Post 10348608)
Don't expect the $300 unit to last more than a couple years without issues - just hope it lasts a few MONTHS. Personally, I'd spend 2x as much to get one that will last 4x as long.

I paid $500 for a used double-din Eclipse dual-disc DVD/NAV system over 3yrs ago and it still works like new... Someday I hope I find a deal like that for the X!!:-jammin

I had the same opinion before I purchased mine. However, I read more than one thread about these decks on FTE and other forums before I purchased. Overall, they've had surprisingly good reviews. I've seen zero reports of failure.

SkySkiJason 05-16-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eric H (Post 10348625)
I had the same opinion before I purchased mine. However, I read more than one thread about these decks on FTE and other forums before I purchased. Overall, they've had surprisingly good reviews. I've seen zero reports of failure.

I can't get over all the poor engrish/translation in the ebay ads... ie, read the 'fast shipping' - do they mean 10-15 days or 4-5 days PLUS 10-15 days?? I can only imagine actually trying to have a conversation with these folks in the event my $300 investment went sideways. Anyway, glad to hear they seem to be holding up well - I guess I've just never had that kind of luck with cheeep chineesy knock-offs. :-X15

My last experience was the DB starter that 'got good reviews on FTE' :-roll - It started the truck at least a dozen times before it DIED... At least the DB guy speaka da engrish, actually with that TN drawl he had I could understand him real good!! :-X04 Even when its replaced under warranty, I doubt I'll put that POS back in one of MY trucks... :-arrgh

wallz 05-16-2011 05:59 PM

I was in this same boat a few months back. It started with the cheaper units then I thought it would be nice to have the added features of the units with wince6 on em which brought the prices up to the 6 bones price. I ended up getting the kenwood 7160 for 8 something for the reliability and dual zone all bells and wisles. Happy with the choice so far. I ended upgrading the whole system. The good old modo, you might as well do it right the first time instead of doing it a second time.

lovestrucks 05-16-2011 08:07 PM

I've had two different generations of Kenwood double din setups and they have both been amazing...has gps, video, bluetooth, backup cameras to my license frame, and feeds into 2 rear headrest tv's...they were also able to feed it into the oem ceiling tv but that crapped out on me and I just haven't wanted to spend the money to fix that while the other two are still working. One day though when I get around to spending money on that, then I'll have all three tv's goin again.

JohnnyAirtime 05-17-2011 02:42 AM

Maybe this will help?!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...heck-this.html

... I LOVE MINE!!!

This may help sway ya too;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8867725
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8875962

lovestrucks 05-17-2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime (Post 10351212)

Very nice!

On a side note I have a Kenwood DDX6017 for sale...I'm still not all that familiar with this site so if there is a section where I can post a "for sale" ad, then I'll put it up with pics. It has the gps unit/software included...it has iPod capabilities however the cable was not purchased.

Here's the info on it Kenwood DDX6017 Double DIN 6.5" TFT-LCD Monitor with DVD/CD/MP3

-Steph

TXSailor 05-17-2011 02:25 PM

I have one of the Chienese 7in 3D units installed in my EX. Works fine. I have it loaded with IGO Primo insted of the Sygic Navigation that comes with it.

The unit is a Windows CE Operating System so it will run several different navigation packaages once you put them on an SD card and configure it.

I think I have pictures posted in my Albums.

Check here:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - TXSailor's Album: Chinese HU Install

D

Codelizard 05-17-2011 07:58 PM

I consider myself an audiophile and I care a hell of alot about the audio in my ride.

That being said, I'm on board with the thought of you get what you pay for. I have a dual-din Pioneer head unit touchscreen that I did a custom installation with. It's got GPS, XM/Sirius Radio, USB/Ipod Interface, SD Card for updates and/or music, DVD, HD Radio, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Handsfree, etc, etc, etc. The only reason I would upgrade would be to go for a Carputer and take the whole thing to a new level.

I would rather drop 500-600 on a name brand than a no-name chinese for half the price. Don't get me wrong, you may find nothing wrong with the cheapie ones, this is just my own perspective.

Plus I love my toys.