Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   ICP = Oil pressure sensor? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1055688-icp-oil-pressure-sensor.html)

new2diesel 04-03-2011 01:54 PM

ICP = Oil pressure sensor?

I was poking around under the hood yesterday and noticed oil around
the plug @ the oil pressure sensor on dr. side front oil galley.Pulled it and
it was full of oil,is this one the icp? Truck is running fine, but want to fix
it before trouble. The truck has always had a hitch when starting, if I
turned the key and waited a certain amount of time(20-30 sec) it starts
fine too short or too long and it needs to crank a little longer to fire.
Would this be why? 02 with 200k no mods just maint.
Tried to post this but didn't work so I hope it doesn't go 2x
Thanks Jeff

clux 04-03-2011 02:28 PM

Yaeh, that's the ICP. I don't know if it's the cause of your symptoms, but if there's oil in the plug it's days are limited.

danskool 04-03-2011 02:40 PM

x2, Oil in the plug, change it. Good catch !.

EMD_DRIVER 04-03-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by new2diesel (Post 10175780)
The truck has always had a hitch when starting, if I turned the key and waited a certain amount of time(20-30 sec) it starts fine too short or too long and it needs to crank a little longer to fire.

This problem sounds to me, like a fuel pressure problem. The fuel pump comes on when you turn the key on. After 20 seconds, it turns off. Without proper fuel pressure, the truck would take a while to start. As soon as the pump turns off, my fuel pressure drops like a brick.

The glow plugs would also cool down, after running their cycle. On a cold engine, they should stay on for two minutes though.

As far as the ICP goes.... If there is oil in the plug, it's time for a new one..

new2diesel 04-03-2011 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies, the starting thing doesn't matter if cold or warm.
Already have an e-mail in to clay for the sensor though.

mgmadness 04-03-2011 04:06 PM

ICP works fine

My ICP has been moist around the connector for about 1-1/2 years now and 20k miles. My truck runs fine.

PaysonPSD 04-03-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mgmadness (Post 10176131)
My ICP has been moist around the connector for about 1-1/2 years now and 20k miles. My truck runs fine.

In your case the leak might be around ICP sensor (o-ring going bad), but if there is oil in the sensor connector (oil leaking through the sensor) then it is time to change the sensor. A quick check is to remove the sensor connector and start the motor. If there is oil comng out of he top of sensor it is leaking through it. If there is oil leaking through the sensor it cannot accurately read the pressure.

Edit: If it is leakng from around the sensor the o-ring should be replaced.

new2diesel 04-03-2011 04:27 PM

It is definitely leaking into the plug, wonder if the new one will leak @ the o-ring though

PaysonPSD 04-03-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by new2diesel (Post 10176203)
It is definitely leaking into the plug, wonder if the new one will leak @ the o-ring though

The new one comes with a new o-ring.

new2diesel 04-03-2011 05:16 PM

Will wait for Clay to reply tomorrow, also may put in for hpx, that will smooth out
idle? Not big up n down but noticeable

new2diesel 04-20-2011 09:01 PM

Just an update, I replaced the ICP and put in HPx, The idle is smoother and
so far starts seem better. Will check mileage, but I dont know if that would change