Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Changing out front shocks, how difficult? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1049884-changing-out-front-shocks-how-difficult.html)

Billyclub 03-15-2011 08:43 AM

Changing out front shocks, how difficult?

They need to be replaced and I want to do it myself. Do I need any special tools?

cj45lc 03-15-2011 08:50 AM

No special tools & not very difficult. Pass side I got the nuts off the top through the wheel well.

Billyclub 03-15-2011 09:00 AM

When I had the bed off last year I replaced the rears. I know alot of people like the Bilsteins but I don't want to spen big bucks if not needed. I went with NAPA premiums on the rear. What would you folks recommend other than the Bilsteins

Night Crawler 03-15-2011 09:10 AM

Rancho, Pro Comp. I wouldn't put a NAPA anything on my truck, I used to, but get kinda tired of doing things 2-3 times cause of cheap parts. I did a brake job 2yrs ago, rotors,calipers, pads. rotors are warped and calipers look worse then the stock ones.

rebelmdb 03-15-2011 09:11 AM

They are a 12 pack job. It takes 5 min to change them. After that sit in the shop and drink your beer you don't want people to know its actually easy to work on the Fords.

jwhitetail 03-15-2011 09:12 AM

Its more work getting the wheels off then putting shocks on. Pro Comp,Rancho,Skyjacker are some other's.

cj45lc 03-15-2011 09:47 AM

I put the monroe reflex on mine & I didn't take the wheels off

timmyboy76 03-15-2011 10:12 AM

i put pro-comps on too, along with not removing the tires. Unfortuntly, after month and a 1/2, had to replace the rears, just blew right out, how..not sure, and not to stoked right now. Hope'n they "fix' this issue. Might wanna hold onto the stockers, just for a bit.

Rose Clifford 03-15-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by timmyboy76 (Post 10096009)
i put pro-comps on too, along with not removing the tires. Unfortuntly, after month and a 1/2, had to replace the rears, just blew right out, how..not sure, and not to stoked right now. Hope'n they "fix' this issue. Might wanna hold onto the stockers, just for a bit.

warranty those things, get some freebies. those could have been defects

cgl 03-15-2011 10:49 AM

I went with the BDS 9500 series for my 02, Mainly because my off road guy says they're the best for what I do, and the fronts were easier to replace then the rears IMHO. 5 minute job for sure.

big poppa 03-15-2011 10:55 AM

If you don't mind the color difference the Monroes have been around awhile, got them on my wifes Expy now, good riding shock. Very easy to put on like everybody mentioned, hook the top shock to the tower and get the bolt ready when you cut the plastic shock retainer strap, as the shock is expanding down pop the bolt thru the lower hole, tighten up and your done.

c125bob 03-15-2011 03:02 PM

I put Monroes on my truck and have been happy with them. Nothing to it just like everybody else said. I didn't take the tires off either. Just be ready to react when you cut the plastic tie. As the shock moves down, slide it onto the lower mount. Don't ask me how I know !!

gtnwood 03-15-2011 06:53 PM

Just put the Monroe Reflex on the fronts as well when I added the leveling kit and couldn't be happier, well actually I could but thats another story.

Ponyboychris 03-15-2011 07:26 PM

The hardest part is to break the nuts loose on the old shocks if they have some rust on them. PB Blaster should make short work of the nuts.

onelionhunter 03-15-2011 08:59 PM

Fronts

I would spend the money on the fronts for good shocks, I had the best Napa sells on the front and they were blown at 25k miles in 18 months. The engine in these things is a boat anchor, 1000lbs dry, add in 8 gallons of coolant, 4 gallons of oil, etc, etc, the fron takes a serious beating.

Edit: You will need an 18mm socket which not all kits have, other than that, it requires nothing special.

edit Edit: Here is a good price on the Bilstiens for the front, with free shipping. Thats per shock http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...ount-BOOT-down)