Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   exhaust (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1027996-exhaust.html)

Newcomer 01-11-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 92nite351 (Post 9807583)
nick what part of the state are you from? is ti legal to steal my own thread?

I grew up in Gray, not sure if you know where that is or not, close to Windham and sebago lake. I think you are about an hour or so northeast of there. You are close to Belfast if I remember right? Oh, and you can Hijack your own thread if you want to...

92nite351 01-11-2011 11:12 AM

yeah i grew up in the oxford hills area so i no gray pretty well, built alot of houses in gray new glauster...i moved up here 7 years ago...

Newcomer 01-11-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 92nite351 (Post 9807778)
yeah i grew up in the oxford hills area so i no gray pretty well, built alot of houses in gray new glauster...i moved up here 7 years ago...

10-4, I have some friends from mechanic falls because they transplanted a lot of kids from there into the Gray New gloucester schools when I was in High School. Actually one of my college roomates' parents' owned a little country store in Minot...

Bob Gervais 01-11-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Newcomer (Post 9807091)
"Mainer"

'round these parts we call them "Maine-iacs". :)

*edit*

To keep this sorta on topic, I installed a high flow 3" cat, with a 3" single in dual out Magnaflow, and a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe. I like the sound, it's not droning or too loud, and it was fairly cheap considering the old exhaust rotted off.

92nite351 01-11-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Gervais (Post 9808162)
'round these parts we call them "Maine-iacs". :)

*edit*

To keep this sorta on topic, I installed a high flow 3" cat, with a 3" single in dual out Magnaflow, and a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe. I like the sound, it's not droning or too loud, and it was fairly cheap considering the old exhaust rotted off.

yes sir maniacs we r...haahahahaha

Bob Gervais 01-12-2011 07:56 AM

I searched back on the Bronco forums for the tailpipe part number I used. It's a Maremont pipe, originally made for mid-70's F series trucks. 3" diameter, mandrel bent, and fits our trucks perfectly. Best part is, Autozone sold them for about $30, which is where I got mine.

The Maremont tailpipe part number is M300001, however I can't seem to find it anywhere, even in a Google search. Just figured I'd throw that info out there, in case you decide to go that route, maybe someone can find that pipe...

92nite351 01-12-2011 09:48 AM

i thought 3" would cause me to lose low end? does the 351 have good low end or is it like the 302?

Bob Gervais 01-12-2011 10:12 AM

The 351 makes tq lower in the rpm range than the 302 does. There's a lot of debate of losing low end tq with a larger exhaust, and the theories behind that are correct, though I didn't notice any difference with my 302. Maybe it's a measurable loss on a dyno, but not in seat of the pants feel?

When I did my exhaust, I sized it with further upgrades in mind. Originally, I was planning either a 351 swap, or to build a 302 with GT40 heads, different cam, etc. Now, this old 302 is still running like a champ, so plans of a motor swap have been put on hold.

92nite351 01-12-2011 10:35 AM

k i like the idea of the 3" set up from the headers back.... looks and sound and wont make local cops suspicious... any info on torque would be helpfull

TexasGuy001 01-12-2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Gervais (Post 9812540)
The 351 makes tq lower in the rpm range than the 302 does. There's a lot of debate of losing low end tq with a larger exhaust, and the theories behind that are correct, though I didn't notice any difference with my 302. Maybe it's a measurable loss on a dyno, but not in seat of the pants feel?

When I did my exhaust, I sized it with further upgrades in mind. Originally, I was planning either a 351 swap, or to build a 302 with GT40 heads, different cam, etc. Now, this old 302 is still running like a champ, so plans of a motor swap have been put on hold.

I am still planning a 351 swap, but my 302 is still running like a champ too. I also did not notice any really difference or loss after changing the exhaust.

Bob Gervais 01-13-2011 05:17 AM

I'm pretty amazed by this motor. I did an oil pan, oil pump, and rod bearings about 20k ago. The journals were scored pretty badly, but I figured what the heck, we'll see how long it lasts.

Still going strong... :)

BTW, your sound clip is what made my decision on the Magnaflow. Thanks!

92nite351 01-13-2011 06:21 AM

i def like your exhaust texas..its what made me think 3" also.... im just a little aprehensive about going 3" with a small block. but if you guys didnt notice much of a diff then i think thats the way i will go

xxshine 01-13-2011 10:04 AM

Re: the factory air box and more flow. There is a product called ' Tornado ' It's a round stainless thing that has stationary fins in the middle, much like fan blades. Put that thing ( or things ) inside the air delivery tube ( s ) . Makes the air swirl around like a tornado. Also, there are these velocity stack things that go at the front of the plenim, and again, make the intake air swirl in a circular motion. One manufacturer of those is, Motorvation. Summit may be able to hook you up.

Bob Gervais 01-13-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by xxshine (Post 9818104)
Re: the factory air box and more flow. There is a product called ' Tornado ' It's a round stainless thing that has stationary fins in the middle, much like fan blades. Put that thing ( or things ) inside the air delivery tube ( s ) . Makes the air swirl around like a tornado. Also, there are these velocity stack things that go at the front of the plenim, and again, make the intake air swirl in a circular motion. One manufacturer of those is, Motorvation. Summit may be able to hook you up.

No offense, but, those things don't do anything but make your wallet lighter.

92nite351 01-13-2011 10:30 AM

i have heard the same things from people who have bought things like this and havent worked. i usualy only buy products with the money back guarentee, that way when they dont work i send it back and get my money back. im not big on buying things unless they are proven to work. im too damn cheap.