Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   WINDSHIELD SPRAYER NOZZLES (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1027428-windshield-sprayer-nozzles.html)

arrowheadfred 01-08-2011 08:31 PM

WINDSHIELD SPRAYER NOZZLES

I will have to drill holes in my hood to mount the sprayer nozzles. But i havn't a clue were they would be mounted to work right. So i was thinking i could run the hose to the dash and fill it with koolaid . KOOLAID ON TAP !!! Remember Don't drink and drive !!!!!:-X22

spurredon 01-08-2011 08:40 PM

Now you're thinking!

ALBUQ F-1 01-08-2011 09:05 PM

A group of us got together in Rio Rancho last week or so, and were talking about this. Mostly bemoaning the fact that hoods were painted but we hadn't thought to drill before paint. A suggestion is to look at the modern wipers with the sprayer on the blades/arms. But there's a lot of hardware to get any water there, another switch, a bottle/bag, etc.... We need to come up with a solution! Most of the time when it rains here, it's a light rain and there is more dirty spray off the road than real rain.

bobbytnm 01-08-2011 10:35 PM

That was a great meeting us local NM guys had.

I was working on my sons 67 Jeepster Commando today and I think it has a workable solution to the windshield wiper squirter issue. The Jeeps, Wagoneers, CJ's, Commandos, etc had a windshield washer squirter that consisted of a central post with 2 squirters on it that are adjustable.

I'll try and snap a pic of the set-up tomorrow.

Bobby

petey shoes 01-09-2011 08:12 AM

on the kenworth and oshkosh trucks i work on, they have clip on nozzles. these just snap on wiper arm. maybe?

ALBUQ F-1 01-09-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by petey shoes (Post 9797040)
on the kenworth and oshkosh trucks i work on, they have clip on nozzles. these just snap on wiper arm. maybe?

That would be interesting to see if you can snap a pic. But you'd still have to get the tubing to the arms.

thrifty 01-09-2011 12:23 PM

I have a picture of a 56 hood in my album. I don't post enough to put it here. The hood has 3 holes in it. 2 are for the hood brace that 56 only have. The other is for the windshield washer which is 1 hole. Just thought of something you aren't running a 56 are you? Duh. Should have thought before answering.

rhopper 01-10-2011 10:24 PM

I picked up some black nozzles at the junkyard from a little pos (geo?) and was thinking of mounting them at the back of the hood. It's about the same distance to the windshield as a normal car, and would keep all the hoses and such under the hood. However, Ross's truck is painted and pretty, and I'd be nervous about drilling holes in something that nice. My hood isn't even in primer yet, so no worries for me. Perhaps using the cowl vent somehow?

ALBUQ F-1 01-10-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by rhopper (Post 9806073)
... Perhaps using the cowl vent somehow?

That might work! But I'd want to have a good spare first.

bobbytnm 01-10-2011 11:00 PM

I couldn't get a pic of the squirters on my Commando or find my spare part. Here's a pic I found on ebay;
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/9...7782989_tp.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/9...7782742_tp.jpg

I'll try and find a better pic. The squirters on either side are adjustable. The whole thing mounts into an approx 1/2" hole. The ones on the Commando's and the Wagoneers don't have the 90 degree bend but are straight

Bobby

49fordpickumup 01-10-2011 11:11 PM

I haven't figured out the hose/nozzle part but have a suggestion for the pump and bottle. A 1990-96 t-bird and maybe the cougar have a bottle with a pump together mounted behind the front bumper and of course 12 VDC. You can buy nozzles,plastic aftermarket. chuck

arrowheadfred 01-10-2011 11:25 PM

CHROME SPRAY NOZZLES

I have a set of nice chrome nozzles with little lights . They call them snake eyes. But you would have to drill the holes in your hood about 7 inchs from the back edge right at the brace on the underside of the hood. I just don't know if they will spray that far and up high enough to do any good.I plan on hooking them up and see were they hit the glass before i drill a hole. I Think if you put some good tape were you want your hole then drill it won't hurt the paint . drill it then take a art brush and touch the paint up and the nozzle will cover it up. I put mmy truck on a trailer today and took it to panama city beach to have the inside done. EVERYONE WAS POINTING AND DROWLING . What can i say !!!!! THATS ONE COOL LOOKING TRUCK. LOL:-dancing1

arrowheadfred 01-10-2011 11:30 PM

BOTTLE AND PUMP

Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup (Post 9806263)
I haven't figured out the hose/nozzle part but have a suggestion for the pump and bottle. A 1990-96 t-bird and maybe the cougar have a bottle with a pump together mounted behind the front bumper and of course 12 VDC. You can buy nozzles,plastic aftermarket. chuck

I bought mine from LMC .You can see it in some of my pics. Mounted on the firewall.

bobbytnm 01-11-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by arrowheadfred (Post 9806305)
I Think if you put some good tape were you want your hole then drill it won't hurt the paint . drill it then take a art brush and touch the paint up and the nozzle will cover it up.

I think that using one of those step bits might be easier on the paint and give you a rounder hole that your standard drill bit. (I'd still use the too)

Bobby

spurredon 01-11-2011 08:09 AM

Using masking tape is a good idea, but also use a very small drill to start with for a pilot hole. A pric puch is also a good idea to keep the drill from wandering. After you drill your hole, it is a good thing to touch up the edges of the bare metal with paint to keep rust from creeping out from under the nozzle. You can just touch it up with "nail polish", as it is not going to be seen and it dries fast and is hard. Besides, it will make your truck look fancy with nice nails!