Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2011 vs. 2010 F-350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1019722-2011-vs-2010-f-350-a.html)

ruschejj 12-16-2010 07:09 AM

Fair enough, I do agree that the 6.4 will be a more effective platform to modify. There is tuner info out on the 6.7 also and in time I am sure that Banks/Spartan/Bully Dog will have their way with it too. It will just require 4 or 5 large to do it I'm betting.

I'm not angry/offended or whatever, I just know from having both the 6.4 and the 6.7 that there is a huge difference between the two and the 6.7 is much more satisfying to me. In the end, just an opinion.

Tom 12-16-2010 07:42 AM

Ruschejj and I actually had a conversation on the exact subject when my '08 was wrecked and I was in need of another truck.

I told him my options were an '11 or a '10 for $4K under what I could get the '11 for. He explained to me why the 2011 was worth the $4K more without question, and after thinking about it for awhile that's what I went with.

Having owned both a 6.4L and 6.7L I have to agree with him. I loved my 6.4L truck, but this new one is head and shoulders above the 6.4L. For me it's not about power, but about fuel economy, reliability, resale value, and features. Unlike many here my $50K truck was at the very upper end of my price range and I wanted to make sure I spent my money in the best possible way.

I recommend the 2011.

Lt CHEG 12-16-2010 04:10 PM

I certainly understand both of your points of view and I may feel differently if I was in both of your shoes. I don't put enough miles on my truck that I'd ever make up $4000 difference in price with the difference in fuel economy between the 6.7 liter and the 6.4 liter diesels and frankly neither of them are what I feel like modern diesel engines should be delivering relative to fuel economy (thanks again EPA). I always get a premium trade in due to low mileage too so for me I don't think that there would be a huge difference in trade in between a 2011 and a 2010 for me based upon previous experience. I don't tow a fifth wheel and frankly my old 5.3 liter Chevy V8 had more than enough power to pull the 13,000 pound load that I need to tow, it just lacked the chassis and suspension to safely handle that much load so the extra horses don't make much difference to me either. I also don't like leather seats so I would never order a Lariat or King Ranch and without those packages I miss out on a lot of the other nice features that are new for 2011 too so for me I couldn't justify the extra cost. Lastly, I may be a little crazy but on a strictly personal level I sort of prefer owning a diesel engine made by a heavy duty truck manufacturer like International or Cummins versus one produced in house by one of the big 3. I do realize that that may seem crazy to a lot of folks but after owning a 6.2 Liter GM Diesel for a first vehicle my experience was so bad that for a long time I swore off diesels altogether and am still a little gun shy of diesel engines not made by over the road truck producers. Hopefully there will be so many positive reports of how awesome the 6.7 Liter Scorpion motor is that when it's time to trade in my 2010 I'll be happy to plunk down the coin for the new Ford diesel.

BrockwayMT 12-26-2010 09:54 AM

^Good point. The ISB, 6.4, and the DMAX were all designed for medium duty. The Scorpion was designed for pickups and light/med chassis cabs. Time will tell how it holds up.

A big issue for me, having worked at New Process Gear, is production site. Those of you who are patriotic types should note that

ISB made in Columbus IN
6.4 was made in Indianapolis, IN
DMAX made in Moraine, OH

6.7 made in Chihuaha