Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   '92 F150 5.8L using/burning huge amounts of oil (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1009435-92-f150-5-8l-using-burning-huge-amounts-of-oil.html)

Roofer Girl 11-11-2010 11:16 AM

'92 F150 5.8L using/burning huge amounts of oil

I have a '92 f150 with a 5.8L using/burning a quart of oil to every 60miles if i drive nicely on hwy. Yesterday we had wet snow and I only drove 100miles but used 3.5quarts of oil. cause I used 4x4. We have tried changing the Pvc valve. Check engine light goes on and off randomly, also after driving at hwy speed then having to stop oil gauge flickers between no pressure and only goes back to pressure when put in park or driving resumes. This truck has 440K. Any ideas on fixes or is motor on it's way out? No knocking noises, if you didn't know I added oil all the time you wouldn't know there was a problem.

lew52 11-11-2010 11:53 AM

Well 440K isnt alot of miles for a ford , but you might want to do a compessoin check , the rings may be worn , after you check the comp put a little oil in each cylinder & check it again , if it goes up thats a sign of bad rings ....Lew

Duct Tape Racing 11-11-2010 01:43 PM

440k? When was it last rebuilt? I can bet your rings are goin bad and it's burning oil like a striped ass ape

CWPottenger 11-11-2010 09:04 PM

Is it smoking out tailpipes? If your not smoking badly it must be leaking.... if you look under truck is it coated in oil? If valve covers, oil pan, or rear seal shot you will loose a ton! of oil....

Roofer Girl 11-18-2010 02:12 PM

This engine has not been rebuilt that I know of. Have had a compression check done. At least I think that's what was done 4-6 lbs pressure in engine. This truck has always had a leak where it meets the tranny, but what is new is it's blowing a tonne of oil threw the air filter, and running down the drivers side wheel well. The truck does smoke on startup and sometimes on excelleration, but not all the time. I have been hoping for a cheap fix for this truck. (been in denial about the engine being done) So anyway I am looking for another motor for this truck. Not having much luck.

thndrroad70 11-18-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Roofer Girl (Post 9575084)
This engine has not been rebuilt that I know of. Have had a compression check done. At least I think that's what was done 4-6 lbs pressure in engine. This truck has always had a leak where it meets the tranny, but what is new is it's blowing a tonne of oil threw the air filter, and running down the drivers side wheel well. The truck does smoke on startup and sometimes on excelleration, but not all the time. I have been hoping for a cheap fix for this truck. (been in denial about the engine being done) So anyway I am looking for another motor for this truck. Not having much luck.

with 440k on it I would just start looking for another motor......

Roofer Girl 11-18-2010 02:32 PM

Like I said in my last post, I am looking for a new motor, just not having any luck. If I have to rebuild the one that's in my truck, I may have to go without wheels for awhile. Trying to avoid that.

thndrroad70 11-18-2010 02:35 PM

where are you located??

Samsonitesamsonite 11-18-2010 02:48 PM

oil in the filter is usually do to blow-by aka bad rings, especially since you already replaced the PCV.

Roofer Girl 11-18-2010 03:05 PM

My closest city is Regina, SK. Canada.

thndrroad70 11-18-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Roofer Girl (Post 9575228)
My closest city is Regina, SK. Canada.

Sorry , your to far away for me to help.... kinda surprising that they arent falling off of trees in Canada, where the trucks themselves I would expect to rust away within a few years leaving only driveline parts scattered throughout the countryside... atleast thats what happens here in connecticut and seems to get worse as you go north.... I always have a yard full of great drivelines but nice bodys are almost extinct around here.....

Roofer Girl 11-18-2010 04:29 PM

That should be the case, but believe it or not. My truck is a relic here, or so it seems. I do have a couple of mechanic friends of mine searching, no luck so far. I had the front axle replaced in July and they had to get it from Alberta. Hopefully they find something soon. I use this truck for work too.

Kapusta 11-18-2010 07:27 PM

I have a feeling she means 440K in kms, not miles. That would be more like 275K in miles.
Finding another engine with low miles would be the ideal scenario for a time and budget fix.