Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   NO GODFORSAKEN BOOST (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/990323-no-godforsaken-boost.html)

lakewood 09-08-2010 07:54 PM

NO GODFORSAKEN BOOST

Yeah im really pissed. on my way home from church tonight, my truck isnt giving me any boost.

When i started it i thought it sounded funny, when i accelerated it felt even funnier, felt like my 7.3, you floor it and it goes nowhere. both my boost gauges(stock, a.m.) are showing no boost, i stomp on it, climbes to about 1800 rpms, no boost, then jumps to 2500 with 9 pounds of boost. i pull over on the side of the road, restart the truck about 5 times, nothin, still not producing boost. so i take off again, im checking to see if its black smoking, my friend is behind me and im using his head lights, but no smoke. finally make it up to 65-70 mph, at that speed i normally see about 10 psi continuously, this time nothing. i get home, listen to the exhaust sounds like a non-turboed v-8, cant hear my turbo at, and usually its screaming. pop the hood, all the CAC boots are on and everything looks fine.

I am pretty po'd right now, so sorry for any grammar mistakes.

I know its going into limp mode, truck has never done this before, its been 2800 miles since i got the EGR deleted and this is the first problem i've had.

Is there anyway to reset the code(no cel) so i can at least drive to school tomorrow?

Also dont want hp tunes, because well like most 17 year olds i'll use em, to the best of their abilities

lakewood 09-08-2010 08:49 PM

Bump.
Stilled torqued

John Irwin 09-08-2010 09:02 PM

My boost shut down last night too, and I was thinking turbo, now I think the ficm has finally died. It was running fine, shut it down, got back in a few hours later, and it would hardly run. I'm thinking, no fuel, no boost. I couldn't get more than a pound out of it, floored, it wouldn't hardly accelerate, then I bumped the Edge up to race, and within a few seconds the boost hit and away it went. Could your problem be fuel...??
I'm just brushing up on the solder rerun for the ficm, and heading out to the shop to try it. Good luck!

lakewood 09-08-2010 09:07 PM

FICM is a possibility i guess, but i dont think so personally. the turbo isnt kicking in, thats not controlled by the FICM, exhaust is still flowing through the turbo, the vanes just arent opening. so thats why i think my truck has finally gone into limp mode

solaratomic 09-08-2010 09:12 PM

Bad VGT actuator and/or connector? Just throwing something out.

jetact 09-08-2010 09:19 PM

EBP valve/switch is my guess. I am sure someone smarter then me will give a good answer tonight

bismic 09-09-2010 03:13 AM

Disconnecting the batteries should clear the codes IIRC.

We really do need the codes. Do you have any coolant or oil temp readings?

MrBeechwood 09-09-2010 05:20 AM

must be an epidemic my turbo seems to be acting up too. Heavy on the pedal in third gear I noticed my speed was not climbing at all and I was getting passed like an old man.

CAMPINGTOM 09-09-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lakewood (Post 9308122)
the turbo isnt kicking in... so thats why i think my truck has finally gone into limp mode

When I was in limp mode the turbo still worked, just wouldn't build over 20 psi of boost. I don't think your in limp mode.
Did John clean your turbo when he had it off?

I agree that it might be vgt solenoid or something along those lines.

hifiman 09-09-2010 08:02 AM

My 05 did things as you mention and it was a simple change of the EBP sensor that fixed the problem. Mine showed a p0470 and p0299 code.

lakewood 09-09-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM (Post 9309129)
When I was in limp mode the turbo still worked, just wouldn't build over 20 psi of boost. I don't think your in limp mode.
Did John clean your turbo when he had it off?

I agree that it might be vgt solenoid or something along those lines.

John took the turbo aprat, cleaned it, and checked the unison ring, everything echecked out

lakewood 09-09-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hifiman (Post 9309307)
My 05 did things as you mention and it was a simple change of the EBP sensor that fixed the problem. Mine showed a p0470 and p0299 code.

I have a code reader, but a cheapo one i borrowed from a friend, im gonna go see if it works now. ill post if i get any codes

lakewood 09-09-2010 05:13 PM

The cheapo code reader, well didnt do anything.
I talked to the tech that did the work, hes thinking ebp valve, or vgt soleinoid.

Not sure what ebp valve stands for, ill take at guess at exhaust back pressure valve?

solaratomic 09-09-2010 05:19 PM

that's correct exhaust back pressure sensor, it's located on the drivers side manifold on a bracket. It's about 1/2 way back on the engine. You may wanna try cleaning it w/carb cleaner. Also spray a good amount down the tube or take it off and clean it w/a pipe cleaner.

lakewood 09-09-2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by solaratomic (Post 9310941)
that's correct exhaust back pressure sensor, it's located on the drivers side manifold on a bracket. It's about 1/2 way back on the engine. You may wanna try cleaning it w/carb cleaner. Also spray a good amount down the tube or take it off and clean it w/a pipe cleaner.

Ok thanks, you mind posting a pic or somethin showing exactly where it is?

solaratomic 09-09-2010 05:30 PM

Sorry no time for a pic right now, on baby partol w/ a 2 wk old. Just look directly up under the degas bottle for a 2 wire sensor mounted on a bracket w/ a stainless tube going from it to the exhasut manifold.

lakewood 09-09-2010 05:35 PM

ok thanks, good description, ill google a pic

hifiman 09-09-2010 05:36 PM

My 05 F350 was a tube coming out of the manifold and ended up right next to and under the Oil dip stick. I have a early 05 F350 with a 04 build engine. I replaced the EBP sensor and cleaned the electrical contacts before plugging back in. Check out this link to help locate it. Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - bismic's Album: EBP and MAP
After I replaced it my truck is running absolutely fantastic. My sorry dealer wanted to do a Turbo clean and didn't even tell me about the EBP sensor and the fact that it can cause a Turbo to not work and cause other erratic behavior. They know I had two codes but only wanted to address the expensive one and I would of had the same issue if I had let them proceed. I also may be wrong but I believe the new EBP replacement is an upgraded part because of a TSB I read. In any case it sure wouldn't hurt to clean it and the contacts and tube. My old one looked clean and yet didn't work so just because it looks fine doesn't mean its working as mine wasn't. Good luck and I think codes would still help if that is not the problem

lakewood 09-09-2010 05:44 PM

thanks hifiman, would diconnecting the EBP reset anything?

lewis racing 09-09-2010 06:10 PM

All i can say to all this is,,, what is "limp mode"???? lol

solaratomic 09-09-2010 06:10 PM

My bad, I forgot there are two different styles. Mine is the newer style w/ eng build date 07/15/2005. Disconnecting it did not disturb anything.

solaratomic 09-09-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by lewis racing (Post 9311138)
All i can say to all this is,,, what is "limp mode"???? lol

When the computer detects a major fault w/ engine operation it goes into a defuel or sort of an anti-self destruct mode.

hifiman 09-09-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by lakewood (Post 9311041)
thanks hifiman, would diconnecting the EBP reset anything?

I do not think so but a mechanic I am not. The only reason I knew what a code p0470 was (EBP sensor) is that I researched the heck out of what that code meant and what symptoms it could have if it failed. I bought the sensor at Ford for 80.00. However without codes you are flying kind of blind. I will say after researching that code that I found many that beat their wallets and heads on the ground with Turbo replacements and cleanings and the whole time it was just the EBP, its electrical connector or a clogged tube going to the sensor. May or may not be your problem but worth looking in to. Im such a bad wrench turner that I didn't even take off the tube and clean it, however replacing the sensor and just cleaning the electrical plug was very easy on my truck. I did remove the air cleaner and its feeds just to give me a little extra room. On that link I posted you will have to see if yours is located in the old or new position.

lakewood 09-09-2010 06:40 PM

trying to find a code reader that will work, i tried taking the EBP valve out, but burnt my fingers pretty good in the process, ill wait till the motor cools

solaratomic 09-09-2010 06:56 PM

You'll need two wrenchs to take the sensor off the tube, I can't remember which sizes though.

lewis racing 09-09-2010 07:32 PM

oh ok,, i know about "limp mode",, mine did it once. I prefer the stiff mode.lol
Sorry man, dont mean to make light of your problem. I know what its like to have problems.. Sorry

lakewood 09-09-2010 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by lewis racing (Post 9311491)
oh ok,, i know about "limp mode",, mine did it once. I prefer the stiff mode.lol
Sorry man, dont mean to make light of your problem. I know what its like to have problems.. Sorry

Nah its good, something always breaks around here, between tractors, mowers, 2 trucks, 2 cars, fourwheelers, boat, weedeaters, and the list goes on, i spend my time doing homework, chillin with friends and fixing broken ****. cant complain though

lakewood 09-10-2010 02:17 PM

how do i clean the tube to the EBP sensor? with brake parts cleaner?

hifiman 09-10-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by lakewood (Post 9314151)
how do i clean the tube to the EBP sensor? with brake parts cleaner?

I have heard carb cleaner.

lakewood 09-10-2010 03:06 PM

Just pulled the EBP out, i started the truck and put my finger over the top of the EBP tube, exhaust flowed out seemlessly, so the tube isnt clogged. My mom was by the local dealer so shes picking up the part for me. Hopefully truck will be up and running tonight, ill post when the good news comes.

Thanks for all the help

hifiman 09-10-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by lakewood (Post 9314302)
Just pulled the EBP out, i started the truck and put my finger over the top of the EBP tube, exhaust flowed out seemlessly, so the tube isnt clogged. My mom was by the local dealer so shes picking up the part for me. Hopefully truck will be up and running tonight, ill post when the good news comes.

Thanks for all the help

Make sure that when she picks it up that it is the right one. When I went to Ford for mine and told them it was for a 05 they gave me one that didn't fit because my engine build date is 09/04. The one for my truck had a thinner stem and smaller threads and the one they handed me was a bigger(wider) stem with bigger threads. Lucky I took the old one with me and saw the difference.

hifiman 09-10-2010 03:44 PM

Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed it will work for you as mine did. If it doesn't, check the contacts and make sure they are clean as the plugs have been known to fail also. If it doesn't at least you will know its something else and at least you will have a new upgraded EBP sensor on your truck.

lakewood 09-10-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by hifiman (Post 9314389)
Make sure that when she picks it up that it is the right one. When I went to Ford for mine and told them it was for a 05 they gave me one that didn't fit because my engine build date is 09/04. The one for my truck had a thinner stem and smaller threads and the one they handed me was a bigger(wider) stem with bigger threads. Lucky I took the old one with me and saw the difference.

thanks, i rememebered that, i checked mine its the 1/8th. i sent her a text with all the specifics so she knows what to get

lakewood 09-10-2010 04:17 PM

But once again to everyone that helped thanks, gotta go fix a broken u-joint on the bush hog:-X09