Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Dual Alternator Bracket for 1997 PSD - FL (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/810843-dual-alternator-bracket-for-1997-psd-fl.html)

MADVAN 01-19-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by tjbeggs (Post 7028253)
I didn't run the number just ask per application. The Sticker Joe showed seems to be OBS since the alt and A/c are on the correct sides...... Ford has done stranger things though! maybe the dual alts on the sticker is a miss print

Iam thinking more along the lines of a regulation type of thing.
Used what was available.

Bill

Chris Bar 08-13-2009 10:06 PM

Joe
Tried to get this question to you but no email and am so new at this forum that I cannot PM anyone yet, so.....
I have been searching for info on connecting the DC power from my truck to my pickup camper. The current setup is too light and does not provide adequate amps. Truck is year 2000 F350 7.3 diesel with dual alternators from the factory. Is the wiring diagram you show applicable to a dual alternator setup? I followed all your modification but am not sure if it is intended for dual alts. Hopefully you will get this message, and since this thread is so old, doubt anyone will criticize. Thanks, Chris.

joe_13894 08-13-2009 11:15 PM

With dual alts you have one of two options.

You can just do the above wiring diagram and let both of the alternators work together.

The other option would be to separate the two wiring systems. If you did this, then one alternator would run the truck and the other would charge the camper. There are several upsides:

--you don't need the solenoid to isolate the two batteries
--the truck battery would charge all the way quickly since one alternator is dedicated to the truck
--with 330A available, you could get quite a bit of current back to the camper

The downsides:
--you lose the redundancy. Right now if you lose an alternator, the truck keeps running. If one blows you lose either camper charging or the truck will die
--it's a bit complex. You'll have to replace the regulator on the second alternator plus change some PCM wiring.

Chris Bar 08-14-2009 10:25 AM

Thanks a lot Joe...will do the wiring as shown since you say it will work. I was afraid I would toast a regulator or alternator or whatever. I know enough about 'letric to get into a heap of trouble. Again many thanks. And thanks to the owner of this thread...needed to hijack in this instance:D.
Chris

pbgsho2 08-14-2009 11:01 PM

Trust in joe

Chris, have faith in joe_13894 since I am proof positive of the benefit of his suggestions. I did his charging upgrade on my 1997 F-350 and can say that it works well. My DW and I recently completed a 65 day trip that covered 10,430 miles through 18 states. Many nights we were dry camping with cold weather and at no time did we run out of 12 volt energy. I also added the two Trojan T-105 batteries in the bed of my truck which, along with my two GP 29 batteries in the camper gave us 417 amp hours of capacity.
Was somewhat embarassed to find that he was also a contributor to RV.net since I had supplied some members on that forum with his diagram from FTE and hopefully I did not claim that it was original with me.
Good luck on your upgrade and I had wished that I had the dual alternators but my single did serve me well.

pbgsho

Chris Bar 08-15-2009 06:41 AM

Went through a lot to get the question to Joe....yes, have confidence what he suggests will indeed work. His earlier post noted that the mod would not work on late model trucks; mine is a year 2000 so guess it not considered in the newer truck group.