Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   February General Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1220710-february-general-thread.html)

Yahiko 02-10-2013 05:33 AM

Dylan,
Check out the $1 type store for a set of brake pliers.
Then look on youtube fir the how ti use them.
I have an old rusty cheep one I find really helps.
You will find the hardest part is getting the springs on and of
the pin at the bottom.

Sean :-drink

GruesomeJeans 02-10-2013 10:50 AM

It will be an interesting challenge. I will figure something out though. I also forgot that I have to get the drums turned too, my local O'Reilly auto parts says on the site that they turn rotors but when I called, no drums. They told me to contact one of the other parts stores and they should be able to turn them.

joshofalltrades 02-10-2013 03:39 PM

Check their price on new drums too, sometimes its only a few bucks more and saves you time

GruesomeJeans 02-10-2013 03:50 PM

It would be almost $100 for 2 drums from both Oreilly's and Autozone. Mine aren't too bad off so a quick turn should do some good. Finding a place to turn them isn't as easy as I thought. Even though the Oreilly's near me has a shop attached, does not turn drums despite what the website says. The closest ones that do are in Fife or Seatac which is a bit further than I wanted to go. I might have to start looking at smaller shops around here.

I didn't end up working on it today like I thought, I just kind of didn't feel like working on it. But sometime during this week it will get done :)

EDIT: Actually I just got off the phone with a Napa auto parts that has a machine shop attached, turns out they turn drums there. I was told by the guy at AutoZone when I got my parts that they don't do drums, not sure why he said that but whatever. The general price for drums is about $15 per drum. Or I could get 2 brand new ones for around $76 there. I think I will go with having them turned and see what happens. I guess I will pull those off and run them to Napa then work on the shoes and stuff while they are being turned.

joshofalltrades 02-10-2013 05:17 PM

another good store not too far from you is highland east auto parts. they have a full machine shop, and good people. they're in the renton highlands, so not super close to you, but not too far either.

GruesomeJeans 02-10-2013 06:07 PM

That's actually further than the seatac place. I am pretty sure I will be either driving my moms Mustang or she will drive me to wherever I go. Napa being the closest would be a better choice. They also do pretty good work as well, I had them run my intake through their cleaning machine and it got it pretty clean. I'm gonna end up having to do the work in my driveway, which might suck but oh well, I will have to put up with it. It shouldn't take too long to do the work anyways.

How is the motor work coming along?

joshofalltrades 02-10-2013 09:14 PM

we're making progress. i've got the engine almost in place, just gotta play with some tilting games to marry it up to the tranny, and then i'll be putting all the stuff on the top and front of it. i'll get more pics up soon

joshofalltrades 02-10-2013 11:04 PM

i got the engine all married up to the tranny now, and sitting on its left mount, hanging just above the right one. looks like i'll get the exhaust manifolds on before i set it all the way down. just came inside for a few minutes to warm up the fingers and toes, and i'll be right back to work.
the plan tonight is to get everything under the truck (starter, etc) done, paint the intake manifold, valley pan, IP gear housing, and anything else that catches my eye, and probably call it a night.
once the IP gear housing is on, then i'll be ready to start sealing up the front end of the engine and go from there.
tomorrow i have to be gone from 3-7 to do some stuff in town, so hopefully i'll still have enough time around that to get it done. if not then it'll have to be tuesday, where again i have to quit work early to run to town. thats what sucks about living way out here in the boondocks - a 1 hour appointment somewhere takes 3+ hours when you count the drive time.

GruesomeJeans 02-11-2013 12:48 AM

Sounds like a rough day man, but could be worse. What color paint are you doing for the intake and stuff?

joshofalltrades 02-11-2013 02:28 AM

well i didn't get around to spraying any paint tonight, but i made a lot of progress. cleaning parts is always a lot of time, but i figure its worth it on my engine.

and rough days, hell, i've gotta be on the eastside for different meetings and appointments 4 days this week, outside of work. at least once i have the van back on the road, i'll be doing work that pays as i'm already down there and it won't be so bad

Yahiko 02-11-2013 03:44 AM

Josh,
For engine color have a look here.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12523006
If you look back a few pager you can see that 6.0L crank shaft seal installer.

GruesomeJeans 02-12-2013 12:43 AM

Well guys, do you wanna see what I plan to buy with my tax return?

A set of Hooker Headers with a 3 inch collector.
Hooker Competition Headers 6902HKR - SummitRacing.com

And a set of Summit's version of Flowmaster mufflers. They sounded pretty good in a video I watched.
Summit Racing Street & Strip® Race Mufflers SUM-638230 - SummitRacing.com

Total price after shipping will be around $282.80, that will put a dent in my return but I have needed a new exhaust for a while. I plan to have a small local shop route 3" dual pipes all the way back and probably out behind the tires or something. The pipe routing will get real expensive but if I order these parts now and set them aside, when I am ready I can put the headers on and go get everything else finished.

joshofalltrades 02-12-2013 02:47 AM

BUYING HOOKERS WITH YOUR TAX MONEY!! i would think you worked for the the government or something :)

looks like fun

joshofalltrades 02-12-2013 03:03 AM

on my project, i feel like i'm moving so freaking slow! today i got the exhaust finished up, some other small stuff i don't remember, and some more parts cleaned and painted, then had to run off to a meeting. then tonight i went to install my intake and found that the bolts wouldn't line up, so i spent a few hours expanding holes sideways to compensate for the machine work that puts the heads lower/closer. finally got them all lined up right, washed the intake with the garden hose to get all the metal shavings out of it, and realized it was after midnight.

Yahiko 02-12-2013 04:04 AM

Well Surgery at about 9AM. I will be out till Wednesday.
I'll post a quick note when I get back home.