Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Excursion won't start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1001211-excursion-wont-start.html)

FSTBLL42 01-04-2018 02:55 PM

Reviving odd cranking

Reviving an old thread and looking for some help. This is what I am dealing with. 2001 V10 Ex 2wd. it just cranks when trying to start, seems like i have good battery power. then when I jump it the thing turns right over and runs just fine?

Am I fighting a bad ground, bad battery, neutral safety? Just tried the 5 key cycle on / off with out cranking and that didn't change anything. Any advise would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance

Travis

jh818 01-04-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by FSTBLL42 (Post 17701957)
Reviving an old thread and looking for some help. This is what I am dealing with. 2001 V10 Ex 2wd. it just cranks when trying to start, seems like i have good battery power. then when I jump it the thing turns right over and runs just fine?

Am I fighting a bad ground, bad battery, neutral safety? Just tried the 5 key cycle on / off with out cranking and that didn't change anything. Any advise would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance

Travis

Take the battery out and get it tested. It's odd that it starts when jumped.

FSTBLL42 01-04-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jh818 (Post 17701980)
Take the battery out and get it tested. It's odd that it starts when jumped.

I thought the same thing. I will start by jumping it and taking it to the Autoparts store and having them check the battery and alternator as well.

Thank you,

Travis

FSTBLL42 01-04-2018 05:46 PM

Just went to the auto parts store. Both the battery and alternator are running a top performance. Next I’m going to change the in-line fuel filter and see if that solves my problem. I’m not sure that it would be a fuel pump issue as the car does start once I jump it.

FSTBLL42 01-15-2018 02:30 PM

So this weekend I tackled the Fuel pump. Once I was done with the removal and re-installation of the fuel pump, and prior to putting the tank back up in it's home I attempted to start the truck. I let the fuel pump kick in with 5 key no starts and then tried to turn it over... and just like that my problem was solved. So far so good on the 10 other times I have randomly went and started it.

Thank you for all your input and help. This site is awesome.

handywithanex 01-15-2018 06:38 PM

When you guys are cranking on it, and can hear the pump pushing, touch the fuel pump relay, is it hot, noticeably hotter than the rest? Your pump is drawing too much current, and your relay is over heating. Many times is drawing so hard because of a partially plugged filter, left to long the fuel pump will burn out.

I had replaced a relay that I thought was damaged, with a new one, made China, that got hotter than all heck and caused the exact problems. Replaced with good relay and new fuel filter and she doesn't miss a beat now.