Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   LOCKED UP TRANS GOING DOWN HWY!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/989448-locked-up-trans-going-down-hwy.html)

plgebbia 09-06-2010 10:36 PM

Maybe I am beating a dead horse, but....

Scenario: something breaks inside the tranny that causes the output shaft/driveshaft to not turn, the wheels lock and you push the clutch in, it should dissengage the motor but the wheels could still be locked.

In my head this makes sense, but.......?

Good luck!

442john 09-07-2010 05:14 PM

You are right, if I would have pushed the clutch the engine would have stayed running. Update and bad news: turns out we paid for the trans rebuild, over $1900 which DIDN'T INCLUDE TRANS FLUID, CLUTCH, PRESSURE PLATE OR THROUGH OUT BEARING) on AUGUST 13, 2009! I talked with ATKINS AND SONS TRANSMISSION and he said he thought it only had a 6 month warranty on transmission and he thought he only replaced the bearings? I told him I was not happy and that I would just pick truck up, but he said he would check it out for free!! WHOOOOHOOO!!!! FREE CHECK IT OUT!!!! What would you guys do? I have Marshall's transmission here in Knoxville and Steve said he could check it out, but he thought we might be better off with what I descried getting a re manufactured one? Should i bring her home and take trans out myself and put a re-manufactured on in? I am so broke, this is not what I needed, but I need y truck back.

plgebbia 09-07-2010 05:39 PM

I don't want to bad mouth anyone, but, IMO, $1900 for rebuilding a ZF is a little steep! When I rebuilt mine last year I only installed new bearings and seals, no syncros. It cost me less than $200 in parts including top of the line "Red Line synthetic" fluid. You can get a complete rebuild kit (syncros, bearings, and seals) for well under $400. Or, you can get a reman ZF with a 1 yr. warranty for $1000-1200. If he wants to inspect it for free, I don't see any harm in letting him diagnose it. Good luck!

442john 09-07-2010 05:46 PM

Yea, I really feel SCREWWWWEEEED!! I put Royal purple full synthetic fluid into the transmission, Valiar clutch, PP, TB. I told the guy I planed to keep the truck and will have family in it and I wanted it to be safe and last, and this is what I get!:-X09 I couldn't believe he charged $1900 + and I paid for fluid, clutch, PP and TB!! Then, when he told me he thought he only replaced the bearings!! My wife drove by the shop late this afternoon and it has not been touched. How hard is it to rebuild one of the trans, or even take it out? I am bummed out I tell ya, but life goes on.

plgebbia 09-07-2010 05:52 PM

They are not easy to rebuild, but it is possible if you have access to a few specialty tools. Pullers, press, transmission stand, etc. They are not to hard to remove, but it really helps to have a good transmission jack.

F350-6 09-07-2010 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by plgebbia (Post 9301012)
Maybe I am beating a dead horse, but....

Scenario: something breaks inside the tranny that causes the output shaft/driveshaft to not turn, the wheels lock and you push the clutch in, it should dissengage the motor but the wheels could still be locked.

In my head this makes sense, but.......?

Good luck!

You're right. The only tranny's I've ever broke have always been around the input shaft. Output shaft could lock the rear wheels.

Originally Posted by 442john (Post 9303345)
My wife drove by the shop late this afternoon and it has not been touched. How hard is it to rebuild one of the trans, or even take it out? I am bummed out I tell ya, but life goes on.

A free check up next week won't be of much help, especially since I don't think you'll be using him to do any work. I'd be worried he'd pull the tranny and take a look before calling you with an update. When you decline his service, he's likely to stick you with a bill to put it back in the truck since the truck will be hostage on the lift. Call a tow truck and be done with it.

Also check your original receipt and look for any online advertisements or signs in the store that maybe mention a different length warranty just to make sure he's not trying to pull a fast one.

442john 09-07-2010 07:05 PM

Would you, if you were me, take the trans out yourself, or take it to the shop that has always done you right? I was stupid for not taking it the 1st! But I found a ZF 5 speed on E-bay in Whiteburg KY( about 3 hrs away) for $1000 with core trade in. waht would you'll do? I like the idea of using a shop for a warranty, but look what it got me here?

kawa 09-07-2010 07:19 PM

442John,
Ya gotta step back and take a deep breath or else you're gonna have a heart attack.

1st off, get your truck out of there ASAP. Regardless of what he finds you are not going to allow him to repair it anyway, so don't put yourself in a position that this dude will disable the truck more and end up charging you more money.

Take the advice above and do some research to ascertain if there is indeed an expressed warranty on or about the time you had the work done. Read your receipt.

On thing that raises a red flag is that he told you he "THOUGHT" his warranty was for 6 months? He doesn't know?

Good luck, you could use some.

Rog

plgebbia 09-07-2010 07:21 PM

Does the E-bay tranny have a warranty?

442john 09-08-2010 05:49 AM

E-bay trany only has 30 day warranty.LOL, don' think so. Just got e-amil from them.

442john 09-09-2010 07:15 AM

Thanks for advice to slow down and tale a breath, I did that Wednesday and said a prayer, it helped! I went to Marshall's an apologized to Steve for not using him in the1st place, that was hard to do, I felt like I had betrayed him since he had always done right by me, Anyway, he seamed OK and said he would have his wrecker company pick it up Thursday morning. I called Atkins & Sons and told them that there would be a wrecker coming to pick it up and the fellow I talked to said OK. So I will let you all know what happens as MY STOMACH TURNS, THE ZF TRANS DISASTER continues.

myred 09-09-2010 08:50 PM

Hey your in my prayer,, you have taken this pretty good and i know why,, you have god to pray too.. You are so lucky that no one was hurt , he was looking out of you.. I know these times are tuff trust me, I get alittle overwhelmed at times myself but i know he will take care of us no matter what,, I sure hope you get back on the rd very soon... Thinking of your bro

442john 09-09-2010 09:06 PM

Yes, the good Lord had his hand on my family. I also fell off the bed of the rollback after steering the truck onto the bed while it was being pulled up. My right side hind end hit the bed of the rollback and I feel into the left lane of traffic!:eek: I had looked before getting out of the truck, but I lost my footing somehow and went down, while the bed was still up. I was able to roll to the side of the interstate and crawled back to the back end of rollback. My right hide end has a very large bluish bruise:( and me right elbow and knee still hurt! The rolback driver freaked out, and keep asking if I was OK, as I walked around holding my elbow and knee. What a day that was!! :-banghead My truck is now in the hands of the shop i should have used in the first place, Marshall's transmission in Knoxville, Tn, and I hope I find out something Friday.:confused: Thanks for the prayers, I know I definatly need them!! God bless and Good night from AS THE STOMACH TURNS, A ZF TRANS NIGHTMARE continues!

427 fordman 09-10-2010 06:07 AM

You're having a heck of a time all around. I hope things turn in your favor soon...

Neal 97 250 09-10-2010 07:52 AM

I am sorry to hear this. I just read this thread and wish I would have earlier. You were not far from my home. Johnson City. Grew up near Asheville and just moved from Kingston, Tn. so you are in my neck of the woods for sure.

I would still keep pushing that old tranny shop to warranty it. I would even go to the BBB and report them. That will get their attention. Leave a review on ther website if possible too so everybody else knows what they are good for.

Now for the fix, keep us posted as to what they find in there. Those bearings he put in there may even have a warranty??? Nevertheless I know of several places to get good ZF stuff. It is called "WhatEverItTakes" There is one in Knoxville but they are not that great. But he ones in Charlotte, Louisville and other places are terrific. You can get aANY part for a ZF from them. Maybe even a whole tranny.
Also let me know how the case of your tranny is. I may know someone who would be interested in the case or even what good parts you have left.