Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   New bed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/980882-new-bed.html)

oreocreaming 08-07-2010 08:58 PM

1/4" will be fine, but why not just go 3/8? its a little overkill but better to be over done then under done. i went 1/2" on mine, with 3x6x1/2" cross bar. it weighs about 150 lbs but my frame will fall off before that thing goes. if you go to a metal place, they will usually sell scrap pieces. you can get a remnant piece of sheet. you pay per pound. think mine cost me about a dollar a lb when all was said and done. the receiver tube has to be specific size. tell them you want it and they will sell it by the ft. think it was about 11 bucks a ft here.

poocher pup 08-07-2010 09:08 PM

yes put in sprayer and do the bottom where you can also. i saw al. sheet with the cheapest plywood blades i can find and run them backwards on cir. saw. works great for me.

Otahyoni 08-07-2010 09:20 PM

I can buy pre-made receiver tubes at TSC.

I'm asking about 1/4" cause i already have it. With some 1/4" plate and a 3 1/2" pipe doubled up i think i can make a nice (and free) bumper.

LCAM-01XA 08-07-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by callebrook (Post 9194876)
:-spam:-spam:-spam:-newbie

Uhm, what now?

On the bed - looks good as is, not too sure about framing it tho, but do add some sort of stake pockets to the sides and/or eye-bolts to the floor for tying things up - heck I got 1/2" eye-bolts in my bed, and it's a factory pickup bed that switches duty between camper and 5th wheel as needed.

LCAM-01XA 08-07-2010 09:44 PM

lol, lay off the bottle there man, or ya risk ending up like me (and that ain't no good thing, I assure ya) :p

Dave Sponaugle 08-07-2010 10:49 PM

Framing the sides and rear with steel would be the easiest way to put stake pockets on the sides and back.

Those along with a headache rack or at least a bed front will be needed if you plan on hauling anything and have it make it to where you are going unless you tie down each piece.

If you go the tie down route, add plenty of tie downs so you have enough.

FORDF250HDXLT 08-08-2010 06:54 AM

looking good.that old bed had enough a couple years ago id say.:D

Otahyoni 08-08-2010 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA (Post 9194895)
Uhm, what now?

On the bed - looks good as is, not too sure about framing it tho, but do add some sort of stake pockets to the sides and/or eye-bolts to the floor for tying things up - heck I got 1/2" eye-bolts in my bed, and it's a factory pickup bed that switches duty between camper and 5th wheel as needed.

Thanks LCAM, Thanks really what i wanted to hear. My last truck with an all metal bed had (4) 1/2" eye bolts in the corners and it worked well. I thought the bed looked good on that truck too.

I'll have to find a pic of it...

Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle (Post 9195151)
Framing the sides and rear with steel would be the easiest way to put stake pockets on the sides and back.

Those along with a headache rack or at least a bed front will be needed if you plan on hauling anything and have it make it to where you are going unless you tie down each piece.

If you go the tie down route, add plenty of tie downs so you have enough.

I'm sure i'll add some tie downs, but the plan is 10-12" tall sides (semi-permanent) and front. Thought it would be easier, 3" angle is about $3 a foot (that's an old price).

I'm gonna have to do some thinking on how to make some secure sides that will look good with whats already there...