Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   So, what to do? Next project...... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/495385-so-what-to-do-next-project.html)

cleatus12r 05-28-2006 09:44 PM

Figured I'd give you guys a glimpse of what I'm looking at. The 66 shortbox went by the wayside..the box was completely smashed. I snapped a few pictures of the 58 I'm looking at.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=118183&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=118184&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=118185&.jpg

And here's the best part...

I can get an old "Super Duty" and put on the fenders for tire coverage. Check out the cool beans hood scoop too!!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=118186&.jpg

Cody

Thomasm67 05-28-2006 10:50 PM

Cody if you look around you can find the other bed style that you want they are all the same it was used clear into the late 70's. And i agree the that 58 looks better.

fords_forlife 05-29-2006 08:33 AM

the 58 looks like a pretty good starting point. that superduty is awesome. I looked at a 68 F-500 wrecker couple months ago with a 460 (bout 600hp) that i thought would be cool to build up and turn it into a 4x4 with 2 1/2 or 5 ton rockwells. old heavy duty trucks are :-X06 .

FORDS_FORLIFE

busted knuckle 05-29-2006 04:10 PM

you guys are beating up on the 35incher guys man lol
but for real im only turning 35s- i knew should have got 38s

mustange70 05-30-2006 12:54 AM

I was gonna say go with the 66, then get all the mercury grill and emblem stuff to replace the ford stuff, as we have a mint 66 mercury M-100 (less a drivetrain), and my dad has plans to put that body on that 79 f-350 we recently purchased, then change the m-100 to m-350, and leave the 1ton serial numbers on it and gvw tags and presto, a 79 M-350 :).

But yeah overall the lines on that 58 look good, i do however like the hood on that superduty way better, as its cleaner looking. What i would do, would use the entire front clip off that superduty, change the 6 cyclinder (lighniting bolt with stars) emblem on the hood to a v8 emblem (essentially a v8), keep the air horns and cab lights, then lift aways :), and actually we have an old tandem superduty (exact same cab and front clip as that red one there we bought for parts, motor and running gear as its the same components as our one ford 800 tandem grain truck), and if you want i'm sure i could convince my dad to sell (cheap) body parts, less the emblems (he wants them for his mercury, M-350 superduty :)). best part is, is that the truck is in sweet grass, as we can't bring it accross the border as it doesn't have a title.

I think dual rockies in the rear with fenders to match the front would just look killer too, then i think a (gasp) cummis 5.9 (best light truck diseal out there, don't get me wrong, i hate dodge, but they don't the cummins, plus you can get the 5.9 cummins in the f650 and heavier trucks too) built to the hilt :), that or a blown 428 stroker.

mustange70 05-30-2006 01:04 AM

Hey cleatus i forgot to say (i would edit, but i'm on dial up and it takes to long to load that page up again, lol), if your up for theres a mud bog in conrad in two weeks if you're up for te journey, there also one in dutton on july 8, and one in shelby when they have their big fair (marias county fair i believe is what its called), and theres going to be another one in havre as well, not to sure when that one is though, i'll get back to you one that one if your interested.

150ford 06-07-2006 06:51 PM

Well Cody did you get the 58. Just curious or did you give it up completly.

cleatus12r 06-08-2006 07:21 AM

Still dickerin' over the price. The guy's pretty rock-solid at no less than $950 and I won't pay that much. I don't understand his logic. The truck is sitting in a pretty obscure location..not that much traffic, it's been sitting there for at least a year, and it's not in that great of condition.

I keep trying to talk myself out of paying that much for it as it would be SCHWEET to be cruising it around just the way it is with some 35's on it for the time being but I don't want to pay such an exorbent amount of green. If I was going to pay nearly $1K for it, I may as well rip into the old '73 2X...which isn't really what I want to do at this point. I mean, I just recently got done making a ladder bar/air bag rear suspension that works awesome and I don't want to tear it off just to have the ladder bars and rear axle sit around (expensive DOM).

You know, I just have to rant.........
Why do people think that their stuff is worth its weight in platinum? I think it has something to do with the mentality that someone, somewhere will buy it for asking price. In my case, someone from CA or WA will come along and pay what he's asking because they have the time to PAY someone to restore it for them because they don't have to have a job here. They sold their house/property for some gawd-awful amount of Benjamins and paid cash for their $1.5 million Montana ranch resort hotel-looking house. Hmmmmm. The price of everything just went up again.

Nothing against you NW guys (you know who you are). I do ask that if you do decide to sell your stuff over there and move here, please get a loan for your house and get a job.

I'm going to market some bumper stickers that have a red outline of the state of Montana and have text in the center that says, "Welcome to California, now go back to Washington."

Rant off......

So yes, I am still trying to get the truck. I'm waiting for the guy to give a little before I give in.

Cody

150ford 06-08-2006 08:50 AM

I agree with you Cody he might be a tough nut to crack. I know several people around like that. Wont budge an inch on the price. Probably dont care if it takes another year to sell it either. I wouldnt give up to quicky though you never know.

Theres a value on everything but things are only worth so much but like you said some rich guy will buy it an dont care about the price. Hopefully the millionaires are interested in other things other then old trucks.

Good Luck an keep workin on him.

cleatus12r 06-14-2006 07:30 AM

Somebody paid asking price for the truck...it's gone. Oh well, I'll find something else that will make a great truck.

BTW I priced out some 1.5"x.25" DOM....70 feet of it. WOWSA!! My ego needs to be fed, so time to melt the cards again!!

Cody

Thomsen 06-14-2006 08:24 AM

Ahhhhhh. Sounds like we arent the only people haveing to deal with raising land prices due to rich yuppies. I would say that that isnt too bad of a price considering their rarity, but yeah it is a little high.

cleatus12r 06-14-2006 12:38 PM

Well, and it's not like it's a cherry truck anyways. I'd be scouring the LMC catalog for a ton of parts for it that needed to be replaced.

It's like women. When you're not looking for them, they come along.

///sits on laurels and waits

for the perfect truck that is.

Cody

fords_forlife 06-14-2006 04:18 PM

ya i kinda know what your going through. i'm trying to find a cheap 78/79 f-250 for the frame and front axle. when i wasn't looking there where atleast two around that i know of and now that i want one they are gone. the ones i have found the owners must think are gold cause they want atleast $800 and thats if it's completely rusted out. and i'm now trying junk yards but most are crushing that old of stuff because of steel prices.

FORDS_FORLIFE

Thomasm67 06-14-2006 04:33 PM

There's a 76 Hiboy in Lincoln ,NE for $2000 OBO