Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Dented, stuck oil filter, ok to drive to shop? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/396712-dented-stuck-oil-filter-ok-to-drive-to-shop.html)

quicklook2 07-27-2005 11:07 PM

do it with a thick screwdriver and in the center of filter about 1.5" from base all the way through. position screwdriver so you can turn it. it will get messy so be ready.

meredithbagged 07-27-2005 11:11 PM

drive a screw driver through and twist it off. thats how my bro does it at walmart oil quick lube. when they get stuck drive about middle way and will come off every time or just use a oil filter wrench!

IB Tim 07-28-2005 05:44 AM

...Welcome meredithbagged, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.:-X22

MRL123 07-28-2005 07:53 AM

Are you working on this filter with the engine and oil hot or cold? It makes a big difference when the engine, oil and therefore filter and base are HOT - waaaaaay easier to wrench off. The only problem, of course, is that you are going to likely burn some of your body parts like hands, arms etc. so cover up and protect your skin. I have not had much success with the screwdriver method and have only destroyed the filter without removing it. On a old chebby of mine I was left with nothing but the top collar of the filter glued tightly to the base of the engine mount. Fortunately, it was one of the older GM products that could be removed from the block with an allen wrench - what a PITA!

Assuming that you have not yet destroed the filter, and it is still not leaking, I think that you would be OK to drive it to the shop as long as it is not compressed (dented) too badly as that could affect the pressure within the filter.

Good luck and let us know how you resolve your problem.

Cheers!

Mike

GWall 07-28-2005 01:00 PM

Take it to the shop. It will only cost you six bucks; nothing will be damaged, and you'll get to drive your truck!

quicklook2 07-30-2005 05:00 PM

what ever happened? did you get someone to drive your truck over to oil change shop?

Lead_Foot 07-31-2005 12:20 PM

well my mom sold the tundra, our daily driver, so now my truck has been promoted to daily driver. so this morning SHE drove it to get it done, i havent goten to drive it much at all this week because it was low on gas, but what the hell its fixed. I hate it when i sleep in late.

Lead_Foot 07-31-2005 01:00 PM

well, in the struggling to remove the darn mount is bent up, and now i dont know what the hell i'm supposed to do. im almost out of cash, and we need something to drive by monday.

Junkyard time :mad:

Lead_Foot 07-31-2005 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by quicklook2
i'll go wit you, and i am over 25.

really, i want you to go try for me, one more time. i know you can do it. heck you are just waiting around for someone to drive you! :-X20

BTW i think the one more time was what screwed it up btw, for future refernce quick, dont give advice to fight something off of a vehicle anymore, cause this really really screws things up for us.

MustangGT221 07-31-2005 05:04 PM

What mount is bent up? I can't for the life of me understand why this is such an ordeal.

Lead_Foot 07-31-2005 05:08 PM

well, i'll take it to my uncle's shop, he'll fix it right up for me real cheap.

MustangGT221 07-31-2005 05:12 PM

...again....what mount is bent up? We'd still like to know.... :)

quicklook2 07-31-2005 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lead_Foot
BTW i think the one more time was what screwed it up btw, for future refernce quick, dont give advice to fight something off of a vehicle anymore, cause this really really screws things up for us.

hey, no one told you to wreck anything. i did not have a gun to your head.

like the other post, i can not picture what went wrong and you have not responded to his post so until we get all the info do not blame me for what you did.

i was not the only person that told you to try to take off filter and when you grow up some more you will find that when you play mechanic sometimes things go wrong. changing an oil filter is a very simple thing to do. you never mentioned if it was you who put the last filter on. if it was what did you do wrong?

good luck in finding what is the problem. :-X01

Lead_Foot 07-31-2005 06:22 PM

i wasnt blaming you, just saying not to tell someone to do something when you dont know the situation, i was the one dumb enough to get myself into this mess...

quicklook2 07-31-2005 06:31 PM

again, changing a filter is a simple thing. i had a lincoln with a 460 when you were not born yet that i changed the filter on many time, so i did know the situation. it was a stuck oil filter that did not want to come off. you are right i do not know every detail, like if it was a cheap oil filter wrench, or if whoever put the filter on lubed it or used a filter wrench to put it on. but you never gave anyone that information.

you will find that the more info you give the post the better your results will be.

you never answer any questions and i wonder why not.