Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   2022 super duty cup holder light install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1678227-2022-super-duty-cup-holder-light-install.html)

JHForman812 10-31-2021 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by FoxBraap (Post 20132588)
Is there a difference in the ability for the cup holder to hold liquids after this mod?
I even wonder how the previous years with the lights factory seal up.

It's pretty inevitable for little bits of coffee or something to spill into the bottom of cup holders. That huge pit in the bottom of the one cup holder in mine was 1/4 full of liquid crap.

these cupholders were never able to hold liquids, the light ring is sandwiched just like they would be if they were installed from the factory I believe. when you get your cup holder out look at it, it wasnt gonna hold liquid lol

Rob38jr 10-31-2021 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JHForman812 (Post 20132647)
these cupholders were never able to hold liquids, the light ring is sandwiched just like they would be if they were installed from the factory I believe. when you get your cup holder out look at it, it wasnt gonna hold liquid lol

Im very surprised the cup holders arent liquid tight. As was mentioned, it’s inevitable that liquids leak into the cup wells. My current Chevy Silverado actually has a formed rubber liner that comes easily is removed for cleaning because they definitely get pretty nasty over time. Just a cold cup with ice and whatever else collects condensation and runs into the cup well. Maybe thats why the LED light ring was discontinued. Light rings near the top would seem to be a viable solution.

And FWIW, I looked up the FordPass points question I had and it looks like I should get approx. 42,000 points upon purchase.

Rob38jr 10-31-2021 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rob38jr (Post 20132736)
Im very surprised the cup holders arent liquid tight. As was mentioned, it’s inevitable that liquids leak into the cup wells. My current Chevy Silverado actually has a formed rubber liner that comes OUT easily is removed for cleaning because they definitely get pretty nasty over time. Just a cold cup with ice and whatever else collects condensation and runs into the cup well. Maybe thats why the LED light ring was discontinued. Light rings near the top would seem to be a viable solution.

And FWIW, I looked up the FordPass points question I had and it looks like I should get approx. 42,000 points upon purchase.

Added OUT.

Buckeye71 10-31-2021 06:46 PM

The light “ring “ at the bottom of the cup holder isn’t what has lights in it..it is just a clear thing of plastic that the harness emits light into..you will see what I’m talking about when you get them

Buckeye71 10-31-2021 06:47 PM

That being said I guess you could silicone the ring but I can bet you that ford didn’t do that on the assembly line and the only reason they stopped using them is money. Think about the thousands of trucks they are saving money on not putting it in there

Rob38jr 10-31-2021 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye71 (Post 20132754)
The light “ring “ at the bottom of the cup holder isn’t what has lights in it..it is just a clear thing of plastic that the harness emits light into..you will see what I’m talking about when you get them

Oh, gotcha. That explains the pricing difference between the rings ($16) and the wiring harness ($46)

But does it appear to you that liquids will leak through the cup holders into the console space below it?

JHForman812 10-31-2021 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rob38jr (Post 20132761)
Oh, gotcha. That explains the pricing difference between the rings ($16) and the wiring harness ($46)

But does it appear to you that liquids will leak through the cup holders into the console space below it?

My wifes explorer the light ring is i the top and youre right that would make more sense. The video I found on how to take the console apart was because the guy spilt coffee in his. My fusion doesnt have light rings at all and its definitely not liquid tight. as said above i guess if you wanted to seal it up while you had it apart you could silicone it, I didnt think to do that while mine was out.

Buckeye71 10-31-2021 07:31 PM

I mean I guess if you were dumping a whole cup in it you might leak some through but it’s a tight fit and it’s no less water proof than it was before..the spring things that hold your drink still don’t have a deal around them either

JHForman812 10-31-2021 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye71 (Post 20132815)
I mean I guess if you were dumping a whole cup in it you might leak some through but it’s a tight fit and it’s no less water proof than it was before..the spring things that hold your drink still don’t have a deal around them either

Solid point i didnt think of!! the pieces that hold tension on your cup absolutely arent liquid tight!

JHForman812 10-31-2021 08:52 PM

wanted to add a little more information here. working with @Buckeye71 the other night he brought up something I forgot to mention. when you are done installing the light ring you have to bend your cup holder tension pieces where I have it circled in red. it will allow them to line back up
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...475055f3cf.jpg

Daddy454 11-01-2021 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rob38jr (Post 20132736)
Im very surprised the cup holders arent liquid tight. As was mentioned, it’s inevitable that liquids leak into the cup wells. My current Chevy Silverado actually has a formed rubber liner that comes easily is removed for cleaning because they definitely get pretty nasty over time. Just a cold cup with ice and whatever else collects condensation and runs into the cup well. Maybe thats why the LED light ring was discontinued. Light rings near the top would seem to be a viable solution.

Well...it is a cup holder,not a liquid holder.

Y2KW57 11-01-2021 04:09 PM

Any discussion of, sharing contact info for, expressing interest in, or asking transactional questions about items members have for sale... is discouraged in the Tech Forums, but is encouraged in the FTE Marketplace forum.

Please refer to this member's concurrent thread on FTE's Marketplace on this topic, the link for which can be found in the member's signature. This thread is for technical discussion about the proposed modification only.

Thread reopened.

JHForman812 11-01-2021 04:42 PM

Ill add this to the thread, this part has generated a lot of questions. here is a video showing the upper console removal this is not my video but it shows how to do it.

robert sloane 11-04-2021 05:17 PM

i read this last week and never really looked at my cupholders
but my 2021 cupholders are lit up with headlights on.

why on earth did they remove it for 2022

JHForman812 11-04-2021 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by robert sloane (Post 20138878)
i read this last week and never really looked at my cupholders
but my 2021 cupholders are lit up with headlights on.

why on earth did they remove it for 2022

just another thing for Ford to take away from us I guess! I missed It I went to the dealership the week I had my truck home and ordered the parts.