Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Opinions on Limited Slips 10.5" Axle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1678009-opinions-on-limited-slips-10-5-axle.html)

00t444e 11-03-2021 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by leadmic (Post 20137193)
Well we will have to agree to disagree. A side note I have had both have you? Also I tow heavy often, although it is mostly dry conditions with low traction at tmes.

I have had plenty of open differentials, I put lockers in all of them as soon as possible, I like a Detroit locker in the rear the best, but a Truetrac is good enough for most situations.

leadmic 11-03-2021 02:00 PM

Have ever had a selectable locker? Have you ever had a detroit lock up in a low traction situation while towing? I have and its not fun. If their is any crown in the road you are going right to the sholder.

00t444e 11-03-2021 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by leadmic (Post 20137247)
Have ever had a selectable locker? Have you ever had a detroit lock up in a low traction situation while towing? I have and its not fun. If their is any crown in the road you are going right to the sholder.

Yes a detroit locker is easy to control in those situations, just take your foot off of the pedal, they don't lock up only in low traction situations, they are always locked until you go around a turn. I have towed thousands of miles with them and had no problems at all.

leadmic 11-03-2021 02:56 PM

Please reread your last post. It doesn't make sense. A Detroit is always locked and can be hard to unlock unless you are going around a corner in a high traction situation. A true-trac is normally unlocked and will lock under throttle in a low traction situation. Towing with a Detroit is ill advised and can be down right dangerous in low traction situation as they can make it very hard to control your vehicle on a roadway. A true - trac locker is a better choice for towing. A selectable locker is good because you have full control of it. When you need it you lock it and when you don't you unlock it.

00t444e 11-03-2021 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by leadmic (Post 20137326)
Please reread your last post. It doesn't make sense. A Detroit is always locked and can be hard to unlock unless you are going around a corner in a high traction situation. A true-trac is normally unlocked and will lock under throttle in a low traction situation. Towing with a Detroit is ill advised and can be down right dangerous in low traction situation as they can make it very hard to control your vehicle on a roadway. A true - trac locker is a better choice for towing. A selectable locker is good because you have full control of it. When you need it you lock it and when you don't you unlock it.

Towing with a Detroit locker is ill advised by who? They have been used in HD, Commercial, and military trucks that tow heavy for 60+ years, I have never had a problem towing with one, its not hard to control. A Truetrac isn't a locker at all, it is a torque biasing limited slip that transfers torque to the wheel with greater traction when one wheel starts to slip.

leadmic 11-03-2021 05:35 PM

Well at least we agree on the truetrac. Its well known about the Detroit locker and towing. Call Eaton and see what they recommended. Their website says that the Detroit is primarily for drag racing. So again we will have to agree to disagree. In the end most automotive manufacturers have gone to selectable lockers because they work better and create less problems.

00t444e 11-03-2021 05:49 PM

I have seen far more problems with selectable lockers than Detroit lockers. This comes straight from Eaton's website.

"The Eaton Detroit Locker can enhance traction in a variety of vehicles. Units are currently available for front- and rear-axle applications, including c-clip style axles. Below is a list of common uses:
  • Street/Strip
  • Drag racing
  • Circle track / NASCAR
  • Rock crawling
  • Off-road
  • Utility Vehicles
  • Light, medium and heavy trucks"

leadmic 11-03-2021 08:44 PM

From the Eaton Detroit locker website facts page:

Can I run a Detroit Locker on the street?

While many people do use the Detroit Locker during everyday street use, the Detroit Locker is a very aggressive traction aiding differential, initially developed for off-highway, heavy-duty applications. Eaton also makes many applications for on-highway, heavy-duty trucks.

In the 1960’s, the Detroit Locker became a factory option in some Detroit based OEM muscle cars. While most drivers of street cars will find the aggressive engagement of the Detroit Locker objectionable, drag racers enjoy the auto-locking functionality the differential delivers. The Detroit Locker allows drag racing vehicles to differentiate when turning corners, while offering strength comparable to a full spool.

00t444e 11-03-2021 08:50 PM

No where does it say it's mainly for drag racing. It's a great choice for a truck that you want simple and reliable mechanical locker that requires no cables, wires, or air lines to work.

leadmic 11-03-2021 10:07 PM

And nowhere in yoir post does it say towing. It does a very aggressive locker.
​​​​​​.

00t444e 11-03-2021 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by leadmic (Post 20137882)
And nowhere in yoir post does it say towing.
​​​​​​.

Light, medium and heavy duty trucks aren't for towing?