Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   New SD acting up. 7.3 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1339059-new-sd-acting-up-7-3-a.html)

liquidlounge 10-24-2014 09:52 AM

mine had a random stumble similar to what you describe, about every 50-100 miles or so and it was the icp harness.

DieselDenny 10-24-2014 10:53 AM

I had the same problem EXACTLY!!!

I went over the truck harness and found nothing. I cleaned, tested and tightened every lead from the nose to the tail.

Same thing kept happening.

Out of desperation, I got up under the dash to make sure I didn't miss something and hit my elbow on the PCM while the truck was idling.

TRUCK DROPPED DEAD.

I have a T/S six pos switch tuner and what I found was..........Drum roll please.

When I reinstalled the PCM I was very worried about over torqueing the 10 mm nut on the firewall. Essentially, my PCM was just floating and when I hit the right bump, it would drop power/signal.

A few turns on the nut 4 years ago and I haven't had a problem. Be proactive and do a complete "Wiggle" test on your harness including the multi pin on the drivers valve cover with the engine idling. If the truck dies, your close.

Hope it helps.

Denny

montanasteve 10-24-2014 10:59 AM

Denny's comment reminded me - the harness going to the 42-pin connection on top of the driver valve cover often rubs on the valve cover. Take a look there to make sure you aren't starting to rub through a wire, which (if it was the right wire) could short and give you the same intermittent issue. I tweaked the steel bracket on to of the valve cover to keep the harness up and off the valve cover.

DanielT28 10-24-2014 11:39 AM

Thanks guys. After work I'm gonna review these things and check it out

aawlberninf350 10-24-2014 09:18 PM

Same symptoms here. Got progressively worse, but still completely random. From what I can gather the PCM is losing power for a split second. If it lasts longer the PCM goes completely off and you need to pump the skinny pedal to wake it up. That did not happen to me but it pops up on several threads, so FYI. Those dash lights go on but no codes at all. Tried removing WIF wire. CPS seemed obvious, but no luck for me either. When I finally had the windows up (almost never happens) I could hear the relays under the dash click at the same time as the hiccup. That can be caused by either interrupted supply power, or bad grounds. Clean both grounds on the firewall (PCM ground is on driver side) and the ground on the driver side fender, up behind the air cleaner. Also a power splice close to there tends to rot. It's mounted on top of, and bolted thru, the fender liner. Added a temporary additional engine to chassis ground, no luck. Swap around the PCM relays under the dash. I tried that, then new relays, no change for me but worth a go for you. Our symptom is exactly the same, but not necessarily the exact same cause. Just today I installed a new ignition switch. Idled it for 45 minutes without fail so going for a test drive tomorrow. Could also be PCM going south but try the cheap fixes first. I kinda doubt ICP. I was monitoring that and a bunch of other crap on AE and captured one of those rare hiccups. ICP and RPM dipped but of course they would if the PCM stops talking to it. Anyway, there's several more things to keep you busy this weekend. :D

DanielT28 10-25-2014 09:29 AM

I'm not sure if this is the problem with my 7.3.

It's been cutting out for a second or 2. Check engine light. Water in fuel light come on. Buy they don't stay on.

I've replaced my cps with a gray one. It didn't stop. Cleaned ebps sensor and tube. Still does it.

Usually when this happens it's at Idol or when I let off the throttle, but last night on my way home up a hill as I was accelerating this happened again ; the truck cut out, kind of jarred, and then my turbo wouldn't boost at all, White smoke was everywhere and no power. The first thing I thought was that my turbo it out. But I turned off the truck waited for a minute and then tried starting it again and it ran fine all the way home.

My ICP sensor is oily. So I believe that needs replace. I just replaced my EBPS sensor this morning in hopes that maybe I damaged the old one while cleaning.

The only thing I can think of is the ICP bad or the replacement CPS is still faulty

Also going to check the PCM make sure chip is snug and bolts tight

DanielT28 11-06-2014 07:24 PM

DPTuner.... truck stalls, cuts out. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I was reading on this forum about similar symptoms with the DP tuner on a 7.3. I have HID lights and was reading that the eletricity with them somehow interferes with the chip.

I'm thinking this may also be my problem. So should I ditch the DP? Or the HIDs? Or is there a way to insulate the DP wire better ?

If I switch I'm going back to TS6

montanasteve 11-06-2014 07:48 PM

In your initial post, you didn't mention any aftermarket injectors that would require special tuning to run. If that's the case, and you're running stock injectors, just yank that chip out and drive it. If it solves your problem, you're looking at either a) chip connection to the PCM, or b) interference from the HID lights. I know nothing about the HID's, but like I said in my earlier post, I had very similar symptoms from a bad chip-to-PCM connection.

Yanking that chip is an easy, no-cost way to eliminate two potential causes.

aawlberninf350 11-07-2014 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by DanielT28 (Post 14799888)
DPTuner.... truck stalls, cuts out. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I was reading on this forum about similar symptoms with the DP tuner on a 7.3. I have HID lights and was reading that the eletricity with them somehow interferes with the chip.

I'm thinking this may also be my problem. So should I ditch the DP? Or the HIDs? Or is there a way to insulate the DP wire better ?

If I switch I'm going back to TS6

HIDs can interfere with the DP Tuner. RF choke on the cable was the fix for me, check out this thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-hid-help.html