Conversation Between Digger 5 and mpdsystems
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Digger 5
    01-23-2010 11:12 AM - permalink
    Mike-
    The pinion depth should never have to be adjusted in any carrier replacement.
    The clean up seemed to take the most time. I cleaned up everything including the ring gear bolts and bolt holes. I bolted up the RG, installed the new bearings and checked it with the old shims and it was close but it still needed some adjustment. The shims I used were a kit design that fits individual shims into a case. This makes small adjustments much easier than just trying to slip in a .010" shim. When I pukked the diff teh backlash was .012" and when it went back together it was almost .013". That is very close and will be fine. Always remember to check backlash of the old unit and copy it with the new unit. Pattern does not matter, it's all about the backlash. Once I get the unit installed with the correct backlash, I add .005" on each side for carrier bearing preload.
    It's a great mod. Go for it.
    Scott
  2. mpdsystems
    01-23-2010 02:12 AM - permalink
    Hello Digger,
    How was the install?
    I am guessing you were able to just leave the pinion alone and use re-use the ring gear on the new TrueTrac? And then place it in the diff with just the new bearings? Any shims needed left or right?
    Thanks again for the review.
    - Mike