Conversation Between rb48f6 and hulaman
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. rb48f6
    01-11-2011 11:22 AM - permalink
    Hey sorry for lag in response, I did not get any notification that I had messages. I know some seek out the 4 spd that was behind the 6 cyl in trucks like our, it is supposed to be synchro'd in at least 2, 3, & 4. As to other trans swaps I'm not sure. Mine had a 350 chev when I bought it - mated to the non-synchro T-9. It's all out now waiting for a 391 and one of two 5 spds I have. Have you searched the posts, or posted looking for input? You can try the 48-60 section - a lot of knowledge out there. There is also a Large Truck Forum for 2 ton and over.
  2. hulaman
    12-16-2010 11:00 PM - permalink
    Hello,
    I have a 52 F6 I've been working on slowly over the last year, new brakes, tires, rebuilt the carb, new fuel pump etc. The body and frame have no rust having spent 57 years on a farm here in AZ. My question is this, what transmission swap is good for this big rig? I have the 4 speed non-sync and the dual speed axle. I keep grinding gears all the time and it's getting tiresome. I really don't mind the hard ride but I sometimes get stuck between 3rd and 4th not being able to get it to shift up.
    I have read about the T5 but will that work for a big truck like ours? Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chris