6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Guages failed, truck runs stronger ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 PM
John_Mc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guages failed, truck runs stronger ?

Hi all
Hoping someone may have an answer to a problem that just happened out of the blue.
Truck worked fine this morning. Started it back up after it sat for about 3 hours. I looked down at the guages & they were all dead. No Oil pressure, fuel level RPM or temp guages. The dash idiot lights seem to work. Power windows & radio died out too.
Other systems that still work: A/C, power locks, powerpoint & remote starter. I checked a pile of fuses and none were blown. Called my dealer & their electrical guy is off until Monday. They suggested I could have a guage cluster failure but that should not affect the power windows.

No problem driving the truck except not knowing my speed.
In fact, it seems to be running really strong, like maybe its getting more boost than it should, given no mods...
Thought I'd post this here in the 6.0 forum as the PSD's seem to have a much different electrical system that the gas Super Duties

Any suggestions ? If its a simple failure, I'd rather fix it now than wait till next week.
Thanks, John

Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whenever I get a vehicle with unusual issues, I'll look at common grounds, and anything aftermarket (the remote start taps into many accessories, many times with scotch lock connectors, notoriously unreliable)

Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
John_Mc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Volney.I checked all the wiring. The the remote starter installer did a nice job - all soldered connections.
I started poking around with my VOM. Found no power on the fuse block to the 30 amp fuse for the windows. Rechecked all fuses with the VOM and found fuse 35 (10Amp for instrument cluster) open. No indication it was blown, just open! It must also power a circuit that controls a relay switching the 12 V main feed through to the power window 30 amp fuse.
Changed it out and everythings working again.

When I first tried to determine the problem, I didn't find anything so I thought I'd disconnect the batteries to reset the trucks computer systems. Didn't help with the dash & windows but sure made the truck run better. Seems to have been sluggish since I had the recall flash done late last fall. Just thought maybe it was winter fuel...