1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Tips on restore of 64 body

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:06 PM
1964_mezajd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips on restore of 64 body

I just viewed some pictures on Air Harley's '64. I've owned mine for about 5 years now and i'm wanting to start the body restore on it. Its has the original paint and has lots of hidden rust, underneath,inside cab, and around the top of window. Is this a job for a shop or has anyone done this at home?

Old 11-24-2006, 12:29 AM
airharley
Postmaster
It all depends on your welding experiance. There are quite a few on here that have done restorations and panel replacement. Check out the forums a little lower on the main page. Your see some covering body work and so on. Most of the panels you will need to replace are available from one site or another. Make sure you go with a repuitable source though. Some of the panels that I have seen for sale on cheaper sites are pretty thin or shaped wrong. Read forgein manufacturers. Then there are also panels that need to be custom made. Luckily for me I work with a guy who is a certified welder/metal smith and loves to work on old steel when ever he gets a chance. I have a lot of panels to repair on my truck that the previous owner had a body shop bondo the H E double hockey stick out of. I even had to take the Camero side mirrors off and grind the original mirror holes open again. Having a shop do all the work will reduce your effort/frustration/crying/swearing/pleaing and so forth but also suck some serious cash out of you account. This will take time to do at your own pace but in my opinion make it all worth it.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:07 PM
1964_mezajd
Junior User
Talking

Thanks for the advice. I hope to get underway within the next four weeks here after I get my garage in order. I'll be sure to take some pics and post them on my bio. Thnx again, Robert

Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
chadwickma
Freshman User
I plan on doing all mine myself, however, I've had some practice on my first restore:

http://usera.imagecave.com/honda_restore/

You can pick up a gas-less wire welder that runs on 110v for around $150.00 for replacing rusted panels. Before you start on your truck, go to a yard store and by some scrap to practice on. Welding is not hard once you get the hang of it. Heck, If I could do it in High School, shouldn't take anyone else long to pick it up!! Bondo is like chaulk for a carpenter, it covers a multitude of sins and is easy to work with. Just take your time and you will be fine.

Good luck!!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
1964_mezajd
Junior User
I think i can try the panels on my own but there are some tougher spots like the top edge of the window where the windshield is located. There's lots of surface rust and even a few small holes goin thru. I'd rather not use bondo to patch holes but rather help to smooth the rough surfaces out only. I'll keep working on it and I'll be sure to take pictyures and post them up.