1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

at last i found a bendix

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:24 AM
zebrastud57
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry at last i found a bendix

does anyone know where you can get the seal kit for the bendix gear box? i went to autozone, oreilly's, napa, bumper to bumper, and others and i can't find a seal kit.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off you got lucky to locate one, now the seal kit that's the problem for the PS box. I purchased one thru Ford 3 years ago and it took two months as it's not available any more, price $153. I gave a steering box rebuilder four good Ford box cores plus $50 just to get a complete Ford seal kit. Under two years both seals started to leak at the input shaft the box is like new inside, even went crazy and rebushed the three bushings for the sector shaft. The truck is a 68 CS so replaced with a Ford box, column, firewall plate and left motor perch from a 70. The Ford box isn't as sensitive or twitchy as a Bendix which is great at speed plus seal kits are available and cheap. Rebuilders want $250 core charge for a Bendix box.
They are easy to rebuild, just set piston rack and sector gear at the bench.

.....=o&o>.....

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 06-12-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
zebrastud57
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info, i don't know that mine is leaking because i haven't tried it yet, but i hope its not. I've heard that there is a company out of california that makes the kit and its like 100 bucks

Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's news to me here in Cali, I had a few input seals made by a company in Pa. That only other place that I would trust is Meridian Auto Parts in San Diego Calif they only rebuild steering boxes. I saw their operation and their quality matches factory new, they reject any parts that are not like new. They have a $250 core charge for the Bendix box. If your truck is a keeper I would seriously think about getting a Ford box, column, pitman arm, firewall mount and motor perch and store them. In the future you could swop over as these old parts will be harder to get due to the age. Hell late 80's is considered old in the wrecking yards.

.....=o&o>......