1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Exhaust Manifold(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Billy F-600
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Manifold(s)

1964 F-600 with what I believe is most likely a 292, thought it might have just been an exhaust donut, but upon close inspection the forward most exhaust port, just above the port flange, there is a crack that appears to span half the circumference of the port neck on top. I know that cast can be repaired, which involves identifying the type of cast iron, preheat, post heat, high nickel electodes, and a lot of expertise etc., Lock-N-Stitch has a unique process to repair cast, http://locknstitch.com/ but are there any aftermarket sources for these 292 stock manifold's ? I followed a few links here, but this site is packed with information, might not be looking in the right place.

Casting number on the cracked one appears to be: C2-F-9430-A ( passenger side ), there are 2 pair on the auction site we all know so well, but they have different prefix's and suffix's in the casting number. Not sure if other engine applications will work on an F-600 with the same engine.

Thanks Again !

Old 11-11-2005, 03:39 PM
stinkfist
Senior User
Do you have the rams horn manifolds? If so you should look into fixing them. It would probably be cheaper than buying used manifolds. Those have become a high doller part lately and you can't get new ones.

Any ram horn manifold that came off a FORD y-block will fit.

You could also go with a set of headers wich would require building a new exhaust or modifying the stock one.
I have a set of reds headers on my 292 and I built a complete dual exhaust at the same time I installed the headers. They are very nice headers. Well built, Kinda pricey though. Cost about $250 with bolt kit and shipping.

Mike

Old 11-11-2005, 04:17 PM
61ford
Junior User
billy if the ram horns are what your needing i do have one i dont need off of my 292.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Billy F-600
New User
Rams Horn

These are the type that allow the cross over pipe to go over the water pump and the passenger side is where the single pipe makes the transition to the back with the single exhaust.

I assume the rams horn to be the type that have the exahaust pipe connection in the middle facing down. These are definitely not those, thanks for letting me know about your extra one though, much appreciated. I assume with that type, you could build a dual exhaust, not sure how that would be done on this F-600, I see the steering box is close by on that side, but you could probably get around it. I'll look into dual exhaust later on, but the stock set up will have to do for now, have to get rid of that exhaust tick noise, probably not good for the valves for that cylinder. I know that on some of the antique construction equipment, old Caterpillar tractors and the like, cast items are hard to find sometimes, you have to get creative. The guy at the link above does repair these, look new when finished, but the mainstay of their business is large industrial repairs, so lead time is long, regardless, I usually place items like these on the "spares" shelf when replaced, for future reference or repair.

I may have located a pair of these, one has a matching cast number, but the other has different prefix's and suffix's, same 9430 number and appears to be the same, heat riser is broke, but I assume the one on mine is ok, thought someone may be reproducing these, figured it would be worth asking here, as I have not a clue on parts availability for a truck like this. Thanks Again !

Old 11-12-2005, 06:21 AM
stinkfist
Senior User
I thought all the bigger trucks had the rams horns.
You shouldn't have any problem finding a good used replacement. they are plentiful and cheap. Mine did the same thing thats why I went ahead and built a new exhaust.
Reds headers drop down enough to go under the steering box.

Mike