1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

three speed - overdrive???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
customford66
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile three speed - overdrive???

hey guys and gals, I have just bought a 1966 custom cab styleside longbed. It has three on the tree, but the guy told me it also has some kind of overdrive. it has a cable that appears to be factory that says overdrive on it. it resembles a choke cable. It is located right next to the emergency brake handle. the previous owner said he was told it was vacum operated. can anybody tell me what kind of transmission this is? was it a option on these trucks and how it works. my vin# is: f10dl669731. any info on this trans will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance for the help. It came with the 352cc originally.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:39 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, that is exactly what my '66 came with originally! It is electric, not vacuum, and is a good system if it is in good shape. It is rather quirky, but fun to drive once you get the hang of it.
It can be dangerous, though.
Search in this forum for my name, and T-85N overdrive - that's the correct name for it. I did several extensive writeups on it.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:34 AM
GregTruck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oldschool overdrive rules!!! I love mine. Yes they can be dangerous. If you live on hills you MUST learn all of its charicteristics before you haul a load. Only park in reverse or the vehicle will roll away. Overdrive can make life a real adventure in good and bad ways but the good out does the bad.

Happy Motoring!!!