practicaly a truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 08:47 PM
Monterey mauler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
practicaly a truck

i am a proud owner or a 1973 mercury Monterey

i have heard rumors of the chassis being that of a F250 and have a few questions about the entire car

it has a 351m 400, c4 tranny, and the diff feels like it is not a limited slip

as most teens want more HP i want more torque and hp not to go faster but to get up and go a lot quicker "i wanna maul rice burners"

i have been having problems finding performance parts and am looking to if possible crank out almost 400hp or more and id also like to be able to get it to the ground

if anyone can help find parts i realy appreciat it

oh ya kinda crazy but i was thinking of makin it a 4x4 that way i have more weight and can take my bike to the desert

Old 05-03-2002, 01:39 AM
tetraruby
Posting Guru
practicaly a truck

Their are some pretty strict rules about posting Q's not about trucks...I'd double check your tranny, I don't think you have a C4 behind a 351M ->400. C4's follow the small block families.

Old 05-03-2002, 07:52 AM
sauerf100s
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
practicaly a truck

Whoever told you your Merc is a truck in disguise is full of it. The trucks have twin I-beam suspension in the front. Your car does not. There are many other differences, including shape of frame, springs used, steering and brake parts, etc. A car is a car, and a truck is a truck. Unless of course you have a Ranchero. And that is even debateable.

Old 05-03-2002, 08:27 AM
76supercab
Senior User
practicaly a truck

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-May-02 AT 09:28 AM (EST)]Welcome to FTE.

No I don't think your Merc is on a truck frame. And you probably won't get much help here for it. HOWEVER, an engine is an engine and it doesn't know what it's bolted into. Check out the engine specific forum for ideas on how to pep up your combo. A question there about a 351/400 would be appropriate and the response would apply to trucks too. Just don't mention what it's in.

Old 05-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Monterey mauler
New User
practicaly a truck

all of the larger mercs and linclons are built on truck chassis the newest vehicle that is not a truck that i can think of are the aerostars which are built on a ranger chassis

I think that they were built on truck chassis because a regular car chassis would not be able to hold the weight or be able to handle the torque of the engines

then agean i mite be wrong about the 351m/400 chassis but i know that the 427 P.I. and the 460 montereys were built on truck chassis

think about how much the engines and gear weigh
_______________________________sauerf100s_________ _________________

tetraruby. how would i find out which tranny i have?
__________________________________________________ __________________

i will posta engine only topic
thanks for the advice 76supercab

Old 05-03-2002, 03:27 PM
luv70sfords
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
practicaly a truck

Sorry dude, but the only thing common between your car and a truck is the drivetrain and the ford key. Trucks used their own frames,. completely different from the cars. The cars frames are very strong in their own right, Ford built cars to last. By your definiton my 70 Torino with a 429 should have a truck chassis, but it doesnt. Trust us when we tell ya, you have a car, nothing more.

Actually I take that back, those 70 fords have one more thing in common, they weigh as much as a truck!

Old 05-03-2002, 04:43 PM
tetraruby
Posting Guru
practicaly a truck

Look at the pan, a C4 is square the C6 has an extra corner in it. The C6's are the AT's that go with the big blocks (there is such a thing as a small bell C6 - I've even seen one on a 300). AOD's I believe were strictly for the small blocks too. Anything above the 351M / C should be C6. If you're sure you have a 351M ->400 you should have a C6.

Old 05-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

practicaly a truck