Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

evaporator core

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:28 PM
MOSPARKY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evaporator core

I'm looking at buying a 94 XLT.High miles but looks well maintained.Among the various problems it has,the A/C does not work.He said the compressor went out and he replaced it but may have overtightened something.If he charges it, it will work but it will leak down and quit.How soon ,I don't know.
I have a friend who can perform the service legally.What I need to know is how the core comes out.Under the dash, Remove the dash, Under the hood ? I don't know the core is bad,but figgured it's the biggest PITA to get out,so I want to consider the worst case scenerio for when and if I go to negotiate the price.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Dialtone
Elder User
Open the hood and take a look at the perimeter of the blower/condenser box. You should find 5-6 1/4 inch studs with nuts on the firewall. (One is hidden directly under the blower motor). Easiest way to replace the coil is to remove the blower motor, remove the dryer and it's mount, take loose the under hood fuse box (and air filter box), unscrew the lower coil tube connection. Once all this is out of the way, remove the nuts securing the blower box to firewall and remove the entire assembly. Once out, you can remove the screws holding the plastic half shell with the evap coil inside. It is about 2-3 hours work for a complete R&R, depending on conditions you encounter.

If it was not leaking prior to the compressor R&R, I sure would take a look at the "O" rings on the compressor manifold junction. Could have mangled or dropped one during the procedure.

Dialtone.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:40 PM
MOSPARKY
Junior User
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.The mrs. had a bad one in a mini-van and I had to completely remove the entire dash to fix it. I really didn't want to do that again.