Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Axle Whines and Leaks must read

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 AM
smmiller
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Axle Whines and Leaks must read

I have a 03 Exploder XLT 4.0L with the tow package and 3.73 rear end. Bought it with 13,000 miles on it, noticed the axle whine shortly after I had it and just chalked it up to being a normal sound. I had the ABS light come on a couple of days ago so I crawl underneath to change the sensor out and notice oil leaking from the differential and its all over everything underneath the truck. I now have 59K miles and way out of warranty and its gonna be 400 bucks to change out the axle seals, there are new upgraded parts but they are on back order. The independent shop owner calls one of his buddies a ford service manager at the local dealer to see if I had any warranty left on the truck, service manager says no but that Ford should do something about this because he sees the axle leak and whine all the time. I get on the phone with ford to start chewing some ars, they won't do anything because it hasn't been to a ford shop yet for a "Ford certified mechanic to look at" so I call the local dealer talk to them and set up a time to have it looked at service manager says ford won't take responsibility and I am wasting my time and money. So I call a second smaller dealer in the suburb that I live in, I start telling the service manager my story and how I just need it checked out so that I can fight ford on getting assistance to pay for part of the repair. She proceeds to tell me to bring it in they will look at it, and that ford does have a assistance program, vehical has to be less than 5 years old, under 100K, or something close to this, they don't tell people about it you have to ask for it? How are you supposed to know about this? I spent an hour on the phone with Ford asking for assistance and nothing was mentioned about an assistance program? I find out from the dealer, who I didn't buy my truck from, that there is an upgrade for explorers, pretty much putting a new axle on it, and guess what parts are on backorder could take two months to get. The overall cost was 1300 and Ford is paying 75%. This kind of crap ticks people off, Ford knows there is a problem and won't fix it, I love this truck, had very few problems, just wish ford would stand behind their product better when they have a known problem. I know there are quite a few of us out there with the axle whine and leak, if your in warranty get it fixed and get the axle seals replaced with upgraded parts even if its not leaking, if your out of warranty hound your dealer to push Ford to pay at least 75% of it. The dealer said the whine only gets worse to the point you won't be able to stand it.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:49 PM
swandog
Freshman User
Was that the front or rear differential....because my front differential has a leaky seal...and I need to get it fixed.

thanks
Doug

Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 PM
smmiller
New User
Mine is leaking in the rear differential

Old 06-24-2005, 03:35 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on being so persistant, looks like it's going to save you some serious $$$$$

Heres an interesting link about secret warranties & how to get the automakers to do the right thing for their customers.

www.lemonaidcars.com/secret_warranties.htm