Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 Explorer (clicking in front bearing in turn)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
ntrudr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Explorer (clicking in front bearing in turn)

Hi all,
We have a relatively new to us 2002 Explorer XLT, 4.0, 4x4, 41k miles. I know from this site about the problems with the front bearing assemblies, but can these click on turning instead of whining. It doesn't seem to whine at all on Interstate. Is there some kind of interference with the hub from ABS sensor or something anyone knows about. A search did not turn up anything. It clicks when turning slowly and the click is much faster than one revolution of the wheel. It isn't like the break pads moving back and forth and the rotors are very true (No shaking at all on breaking, I wonder if they are new and the incorrect hub??) Also, my wife really wants a third row seat, can it be easily retrofitted to an explorer without it??? Thanks in advance, there is a great deal of experience on this site...JD

Old 06-23-2005, 02:51 AM
E-150
Senior User
To me it sounds like a CV Joint. Look under the Explorer at the axle that goes to the wheel that's clicking. Is the rubber boot ripped? If so then dirt got in and you need to replace it.

I know in front wheel drives when a CV Joint goes the car won't move but as a Explorer 4x4 you won't have that problem but when the joint goes, the axle will come lose but you can still move.

If it is the joint I'm surprized it went only ofter 4 years.

Come to think about it, you have all wheel drive right? Older Explorers you can switch from 2wd to 4wd. If so I would get it fixed before it goes.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
ntrudr
New User
It's not the normal popping I've heard on front wheel drives when CV joint is bad, it's more of a clicking. I've checked the boots and they look good. I guess it still could be something with the CV joint though since only in turns. From the lack of replies I guess it isn't normal and may just suck it up and take to dealer. Thanks for the reply E150...JD

Old 06-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Keith Smith
Senior User
Ours has made that same noise from day one, a clicking like neddle bearings going out when turning tight. No one seems to have an explaination, but it's run 53K so far with no problem.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Keith Smith
Senior User
Originally Posted by Keith Smith
Ours has made that same noise from day one, a clicking like neddle bearings going out when turning tight. No one seems to have an explaination, but it's run 53K so far with no problem.
Guess I should have kept my mouth shut. It's getting louder now and you hear it anytime you turn the wheels. Whatever it is will likely go out soon. I'll post back when it does and I figure it out.