1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

EGR help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 02:09 PM
fordman98
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR help Please

well Im fairly new to this site but the more I read the more I learn about my own truck. I have a 96 ranger 2.3 2x4 and heres the problem: About 6 months ago I had a check engine light come on so I had the code read and it came up insifficiant egr reading. so I decided to replace the little egr cilinoid and I also changed out the egr valve. now the engine code reads excessive egr. what components should I check or replace?? Im good at the mechanics but bad at the electrical and computer problems. I already tried to go to the emissions links on the forum, and no luck, so please help.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:15 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Look back over the last few pages. I've had that code and there are several things to check for...like those hoses from the DPFE to the EGR tube, the EGR tube to the exhaust pipe, etc, etc.

Not bad stuff to look over, since it is in a relatively small spot to cover.

You basically covered half the battle and a Haynes manual tells you how to cover the other half that proper diagnosis would have led you to. Even I, being good with diagnostics, had to resist the urge to just yank out the DPFE sensor and think "Oh, that's done with!".

Old 01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
how about the EVP sensor that is bolted right to the egr valve?

Old 01-17-2005, 12:09 AM
fordman98
New User
hey guys thanks for the help, I had a bit more time to read up and what youre all saying sounds very logical. Thanks again, Dave