1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to add power windows to an XL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 03:21 AM
keith w
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to add power windows to an XL?

I guess that I know it is possible. I guess what I am asking is, what would be the cost? I ordered an XL because it will be a work truck and quite frankly, I could not really justify the added cost of an XLT. It boiled down to this being the fourth year I have been looking at new Super Duties, but I always put it off because of the cost of all the add on stuff. If I had not ordered the XL it would have been put off again and I really need the truck. I think the only thing I will really miss is the power windows. And it might be something I look at adding down the road.

And while I am asking about that, how about adding power mirrors?

Old 05-16-2004, 03:50 AM
Jackflack
Senior User
I believe it's $200. You could order a aftermarket kit.

Old 05-16-2004, 04:08 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 99' SD was an XL, I wanted power widows added, I ended up with an aftermarket setup, the switch mounted right were the crank handle is,,it was ok,,I had to pull door panels off several times to make stonger brackets,,the brackets on my setup kept breaking when the doors were shut,,( after awhile).The first time I noticed there was trouble with the windows,,I put the window down (driver side),and it bound up,,was going to thunderstorm that afternoon,,,stopped at the Stealership,,,they could'nt get the truck in,,to at least get the window up,,(that really p***ed me off) so I went to my job,,pulled the door panet off,and fixed it my self,, the brackets had broke,and the widow frame that raises and lowers the glass had bound up tight against there aftermaket belt drive motor setup,,,,not impressed ,,Good luck,,Later,,,Mark

Old 05-16-2004, 08:18 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that I am experienced with this...
but THINK I've seen these kits @ J C Whitney...

and there are different levels of kits...
so watch what you pick :-)

Old 05-16-2004, 09:41 AM
rdam
Junior User
Keith,

I have the same rig (XL). While I like power windows, I just can't see $200 for the convenience. Sometimes cranking down the window is the most excercise I get all day. As for the mirrors, again, they are convenient, but if your the only one who drives the truck, it shouldn't be an issue.

If I could have spared an extra 3 or 4 thousand, I would have gotten the XLT. I'm very happy with my XL. It is simple and functional. It looks sharp (see gallery), and I'm out the door with an F-250 PSD for just under $30,000 (that includes TTT).

Keep it simple

Old 05-16-2004, 06:31 PM
rbyledbal
New User
If you have a decent relationship with your dealer, the power package can be ordered on the XL if the truck is ordered as a Fleet unit. Same goes for the shift on the fly transfer case. My dealer offered to order my truck as a fleet unit, but I later decided to go with the XLT. One drawback however is that fleet units are a lower build priority and may take longer to manufacture.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:56 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
Yeah, that was an option, but I missed the last day for 04 fleet orders.