S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Where to go in SD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:33 PM
4BYFORDF150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in SD?

So I just bought a 1988 F150 4x4 and its bassically stock, I live in San Diego, actually on the Navy Base. Where can I go thats not to far away to go offroading a little bit, keep in mind its my daily driver so I cant mess it up to bad?

Thanx
Jeff

Old 04-28-2004, 12:19 PM
95-F-350-4x4
Posting Guru
Glamis is pretty close to you. If sand dunes is your thing and camping. I think you would have a blast there and it wouldn't be to hard on your truck. Welcome to the site by the way!

Old 04-30-2004, 07:25 PM
4BYFORDF150
Freshman User
Thanks I will check that out some time. I am going to go to Buttercup dunes with some friends in a couple weeks, that will tell me if my tires will do ok in the sand or not.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:37 PM
peteyg
Senior User
Also:

Corral Canyon out the 8 about 60 miles, Ocotillo Wells, Los Coyotes, Big Bear (a bit of a drive), Truckhaven, Barstow (about 3 hours from you). There's other's I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Lots of stuff!

The key to doing great in the sand is lowering your air pressure to rediculously low pressures. Great in the sand, but bad on the street. Make sure you have a way to air back up.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:43 PM
mrwhitefolx
Junior User
corral canyon is a great place to go for atvs or bikes but there arent too many trails that a fullsize can make it through being stock theres a place off of the 905 that is pretty good for trucks but the cops like to try and give you crap if you go down there if you do go though just stay away from the groups of people that form down there and the cops will leave you alone

Old 06-06-2004, 03:43 PM
4byford
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrwhitefolx
corral canyon is a great place to go for atvs or bikes but there arent too many trails that a fullsize can make it through being stock theres a place off of the 905 that is pretty good for trucks but the cops like to try and give you crap if you go down there if you do go though just stay away from the groups of people that form down there and the cops will leave you alone
Where is this place? More details please...

Old 06-07-2004, 03:38 AM
mrwhitefolx
Junior User
either from the 805 south or the 5 south take the 905 east exit and go until you see a sign that says "end of highway" at the first stop light you come to after that you will see a big open field and more than likely there will be people there already playing in the dirt just pull in there and you'll find some trails just pay attention to the no tresspasing signs on the property around that area and dont get too close to the border

Old 06-08-2004, 10:36 PM
plilikoi
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by peteyg
Also:

Corral Canyon out the 8 about 60 miles, Ocotillo Wells, Los Coyotes, Big Bear (a bit of a drive), Truckhaven, Barstow (about 3 hours from you).
I'll second Los Coyotes Indian Reservation, open only on weekends and for a small fee. It's an easy drive to the top of Hot Springs Mtn, the highest point in San Diego County. That's the only place I've ever got stuck, after I pulled over in snow to let a Jeep train past. One of them pulled me out. You can drive to the top of Cougar Canyon, overlooking Anza Borrego Desert State Park and there's a gnarly 4WD road connecting these two roads. You'll be given a sketch map of the roads when you enter with colorful names for each of the roads.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:53 PM
4BYFORDF150
Freshman User
Can Some one give me specific directions to the Indian reservation place that sounds like fun

Old 06-15-2004, 02:00 AM
plilikoi
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4BYFORDF150
Can Some one give me specific directions to the Indian reservation place that sounds like fun
Highway 79 to Warner Springs then take Camino San Ignacio east to Los Coyotes Road. They're only open on weekends and they charge a nominal entry fee, something like $5. Maybe $10 now. It's been a while since I was last there.

It's an easy drive to the top of Hot Springs Mountain (except when there's deep snow). Great views! Some of the side roads are another story.

Do a search on "Los Coyotes Indian Reservation" for some interesting photographs. One of my friends tried driving up "Dangerous Road" in a 2x4 Ranger. The Indians pulled her out and she gave them a couple of six packs.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:31 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cops are all over that place on the 905 now. sucks because i was gonna go there for the first time this week. im sure you would be ok but im not going to risk the 500 dollar tickets they were handing out.