1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Muchos Problemos...Input Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 05:30 PM
carlo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muchos Problemos...Input Needed

Well guys, after 18 years of ownership, the Econoline is leaving me. However, before it goes I would like to get it back into decent running condition. About 3 years ago, a rebuilt motor was swapped in and many emissions controls were yanked. I've tried to read the vacuum diagrams, but I truthfully don't understand the abbreviations. Sorry if I sound dumb, but I really have no clue what half the things stand for. If anyone had something more user friendly I'd greatly appreciate it.

The thing is, it's an '85 so it has the feedback carburetor. For all I know the electronics on the system are shot, however the carb is BRAND spankin new. Its a reman from Holley on the original Motorcraft feedback. Really nice if I could get it all tuned. Anyone have any type of information on how these things need to be checked out? How can I make sure everything is running right?

I've been getting an awful exhaust smell in the cabin lately, mainly due to high crankcase ventilation problems. The PCV valve was yanked (I was unaware) and replaced with a breather cap. The cap was filled with oil and gunk, and now I need to know where the hoses from the PCV valve go.

Please do help, I'd like to get this thing in good condition.

Carlo

BTW, the van is being replaced by a 1970 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland

Old 06-23-2005, 01:40 AM
snotwilim
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can throw out some abbreviations you may encounter but that is about all:

EFE - early fuel evaporation - I believe the pre-heater valve in the air cleaner
EGR - exhaust gas recirc valve - sometimes in a spacer under the carb or it's own place in the intake.
O2 - oxygen sensors in the exhaust manifold or pipe
AIR - air injection reactor - belt driven pump forcing fresh air into exhaust ports
ECM/PCM - powertrain control module/engine control module - computer that makes it all happen
TPS - throttle position sensor - monitors carb opening

Can't think of much else they were using on them back then. The carbs were still amazingly simple on those.

Much luck!