Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dont understand the point of the Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Hammy17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont understand the point of the Explorer

Why on earth would a person buy an Explorer or a Trailblazer when an Expedition or a Tahoe cost only 5k more!? with an Expedition or a Tahoe you get a little more horsepower and torque and more space. I guess a better question is why dont they eliminate one or the other because they are so similar?

Old 12-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Why do people that can afford to buy a lincoln town car drive around in a lincoln LS? They like the smaller cars. It is all a matter of preference.

Old 12-13-2003, 05:39 PM
dcexplorer
Senior User
Re: Dont understand the point of the Explorer

Originally posted by Hammy17
Why on earth would a person buy an Explorer or a Trailblazer when an Expedition or a Tahoe cost only 5k more!? with an Expedition or a Tahoe you get a little more horsepower and torque and more space. I guess a better question is why dont they eliminate one or the other because they are so similar?
My Explorer is no wider or longer than many cars, meaning that I can parallel park in many parts of a city where an Expedition would be difficult.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:15 PM
TLD
Senior User
This discussion is comparing apples to oranges. The smaller cars fit better in most urban lifestyles, use less fuel, take up less garage space and are cheaper to maintain and insure not to mention about $200 less per month in payment if you buy one.

The larger vehicles have a use if you need something that big but most people I see with them don't need the extra horsepower or space. Generally you see no more then two if not only one person in either size. Most peole do not even have enough gargae room for the larger vehicle nad don't need the trailering capabilities since they own neither a boat nor camper.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:51 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
5k is a lot of money and then you could argue why not go ahead and get an Excursion....

Old 12-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Seifferlein
Senior User
Its all about marketing. A person can be attracted by the low price of the smaller vehicle, but can be convinced to spend the extra $5000 on the bigger vehicle. Plus, americans always want to have the option to have something bigger and better. Everyone and their brother drives an explorer, less drive the expedition, and less drive the excursion. The people who drive the expedition are much "cooler." This is the only reason that the H2 was invented. If there is always something bigger and better, the market for SUV's will never die.

On the other hand, money is money, and $5000 is definitely money. Chances are that the people who buy the explorer (as opposed to the expedition and excursion) just want a vehicle that will give them that SUV social status. The explorer gives them that; and for $5000 less.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:55 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
I don't see the point of SUVs
90% never go anywhere to warrant the extra weight and expense of 4x4, and are driven by people who can barely handle driving on road to begin with, but now they have a 3 ton vehicle, so that when they crash, which they will, they can do some serious damage to the rest of us, not only that but they keep getting bigger, so these bored housewives, who should be home cleaning or teaching their kids manners or common sense or something, can contribute even more to traffic congestion, and parking lot problems, cause they can't drive let alone park without invading someone elses space, causing the people around them to develop road rage, and want to fire large caliber hand guns in their general direction, but hey, at least they are in a bigger easier to hit target.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:58 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
Originally posted by Seifferlein
Its all about marketing. A person can be attracted by the low price of the smaller vehicle, but can be convinced to spend the extra $5000 on the bigger vehicle. Plus, americans always want to have the option to have something bigger and better. Everyone and their brother drives an explorer, less drive the expedition, and less drive the excursion. The people who drive the expedition are much "cooler." This is the only reason that the H2 was invented. If there is always something bigger and better, the market for SUV's will never die.

On the other hand, money is money, and $5000 is definitely money. Chances are that the people who buy the explorer (as opposed to the expedition and excursion) just want a vehicle that will give them that SUV social status. The explorer gives them that; and for $5000 less.

I totally agree!

Old 12-14-2003, 02:05 AM
bigblu
Senior User
It's the same reason why there are so many differrent brands and types of salad dressings. Some people don't like ranch, they prefer a vinegar taste (like a garlic roasted vinegarrette). While others are on a low solium diet.

These manbufacturers want to make ALL of us happy, not just one. Wouldn't it be boring if there was only one model of a car?

I like Exploders, It's my version of an in between of a comfortable car and rough riding truck. And you can even take your dog offroading (on the shoulder). I almost bought one while my truck was down for a few weeks.

Old 12-14-2003, 03:50 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't an Exploder a Ranger with a few hundred extra pounds of glass and sheetmetal?

Old 12-14-2003, 07:37 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Dont understand the point of the Explorer

Originally posted by Hammy17
real simple.........choice

why do people eat fish............yuck

Old 12-14-2003, 08:10 AM
Jarlaxle
Elder User
Originally posted by Mike W
Isn't an Exploder a Ranger with a few hundred extra pounds of glass and sheetmetal?
It was, but not anymore.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Smaug
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife has a Trailblazer, we bought it because we did not want or need a full size SUV. When we went on vacation this summer it held everything we needed(plus our 3 kids). It would have been a waste of money(payment, gas, and insurance) to buy an Expedition, Excursion, Tahoe or Suburban.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:08 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if I were to buy a ford suv, it would be an explorer, because I don't need the size of an excursion or expedition. I have 3 kids, but I am divorced with joint custody, and I visit them a couple times a week, and every other weekend, so I wouldn't need the sze of the bigger suv's all the time....I had to go to the dark side and buy a jeep cherokee cause I needed something I could wheel every now and then, and drive every day on the highway, and it fits my needs perfectly!!!

Old 12-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Blade_62
Freshman User
Originally posted by drunkenmonk
I don't see the point of SUVs
90% never go anywhere to warrant the extra weight and expense of 4x4, and are driven by people who can barely handle driving on road to begin with, but now they have a 3 ton vehicle, so that when they crash, which they will, they can do some serious damage to the rest of us, not only that but they keep getting bigger, so these bored housewives, who should be home cleaning or teaching their kids manners or common sense or something, can contribute even more to traffic congestion, and parking lot problems, cause they can't drive let alone park without invading someone elses space, causing the people around them to develop road rage, and want to fire large caliber hand guns in their general direction, but hey, at least they are in a bigger easier to hit target.
....I drive a Bronco, which is technically an SUV....and I drive it not only for the 4 wheel drive, the 302 V8, but to laugh at the other SUV's who get stuck and I fly by in 2 wheel drive without a problem....or you know, kicking it into 4x4 and going through snow banks, around the mom in the Excursion who's afraid to get it dirty, see, I know how to drive an SUV

Quick Reply: Dont understand the point of the Explorer