2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017+ Frame Damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:21 AM
BabyRuth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017+ Frame Damage

Looking for advice after my 3 month old 2019 F250 King Ranch with 6500 miles was involved in an accident back on 12/30/19. Ordered from factory as a lemon law replacement truck for my 2017 King Ranch. MSRP $82,545.

Long story short, I was driving appx 30mph when the other driver pulled right in front of me from a side street. Never saw her, never even hit the brakes. I believe my collision avoidance kicked in and I T-boned her VW Tiguan. She was found at fault. Damage appeared mostly cosmetic (bumper, grill, lights), AC condenser, no air bag deployment, no body panels involved. After $11k in repairs, I went to pick up the truck 34 days after the accident, and saw hood gap misalignment, which led to the discovery of the frame being bent 19mm to driver side and 7mm up.

Body shop says complete new frame is proper repair due to it being a new truck, but Ford allows for a section repair/replacement. Geico will not allow the frame swap, only the front section repair, cut and weld at front cut point. I think that's BS in my opinion and its simply a cost saving measure, saving appx $4k. Any opinions or advice to help me get a new frame?

BTW paying for rental out of pocket since 1/28/20, and Geico wavering on Diminished Value check!

Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 AM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
It should go without saying that the insurance company's first offer is always going to be to reject the claim. This position gives them the most room to move to a negotiated position more favorable to them. Not to say they are going to screw you, but that's just how they do business. You are in the best position to understand the issues and stake out your position. You'll get a lot of opinion here. I'm not saying to ignore it, but, again, you're the only one with all the facts.

So, yeah. A new frame would be the best outcome since you know it is just as strong as the factory built it. But you know what? A sectioned frame has the same strength and durability as a whole frame. It is a very common repair. You can do an Internet search on it to get a better understanding of it and I suggest you do that. Most of the time, the work is done by a shop that specializes in frame repairs. Not all body shops have this capability. It really is a specialty. I have no doubt that done properly, you would be made whole with this repair.

In your case, I would be very careful about who does the job. This shop that did the initial repair never checked the frame and was going to return your truck to you with an obvious panel misalignment? Hmmm. They may not have the attention to detail a job like this requires.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:48 AM
BabyRuth
New User
Thanks! Your answer actually makes me feel better about the section! The body shop actually said the same, but thought I should get the entire frame due to the new-ness of the truck. In their defense, they never saw my truck until the day I found the hood gaps. The dealership I ordered the truck through received the truck right after the accident, never brought to body shop for set-up and measure. They just repaired the broken parts and assumed no frame involvement.

Thanks again fro the confirmation on the safety and durability of the section, and peace of mind!

Old 02-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Mattwolffelectric
Senior User
I tboned a moron with my fairly new 2019 f250. They replaced the front frame section. Year later all is right still.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 435 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by BabyRuth
Thanks! Your answer actually makes me feel better about the section! The body shop actually said the same, but thought I should get the entire frame due to the new-ness of the truck. In their defense, they never saw my truck until the day I found the hood gaps. The dealership I ordered the truck through received the truck right after the accident, never brought to body shop for set-up and measure. They just repaired the broken parts and assumed no frame involvement.

Thanks again fro the confirmation on the safety and durability of the section, and peace of mind!
I would fight for a new frame or total, but wouldn't be too concerned if it came down to replacing the front frame horns, so long as the shop was competent in alignment and welding.

The frame has engineered yield locations just under the kick panels, so just to change the (6' long) section would require removing almost all of the drivetrain anyways. It just doesn't make sense to do that instead of getting a new frame.

Sorry you had to go through this, but glad nobody got hurt.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:15 AM
Cornbred
Senior User
Fight like hell for diminished value, it wasn’t your fault and as far as I’m considered you’re entitled to it because of Carfax and the rest. Your truck will be labeled as being in a accident and you will have to deal with that when selling or trading-in. There are actual diminished value companies that will look at the damage etc and give you a estimate as to what you should receive...in your case it will be well worth the $150-350 that they charge (cant honestly remember what they charge). I fought like hell with the other persons insurance, they actually laughed at me and flat out refused to give me diminished value. We settled on a outside firm giving an estimate, I made them pay for that as well.

Im no expert when it come to insurance and diminished value but from what I have noticed on average you should receive about 50% of the total repair cost, say your total repair cost is $12000 you should get $6k in diminished value, so its worth fighting for. I’ve seen where some have received more and some less, it seems the diminished value market is in it infancy.

i had $3200 in repairs and I received $1500 in DV.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Forresth
Mountain Pass
I would push for 1 or the other. that will make your claim for the remaining item stronger.
"Of course their is diminished value! the frame have been chopped up and booger welded by the lowest bidder!"
or
"There wouldn't be nearly so much diminished value if all damaged components were replace, including the frame."

Old 02-28-2020, 11:42 AM
Frank79
More Turbo
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
go get an attorney and be done with it.. Insurance companies employ hundreds of attorneys. How would you feel if you bought a truck with a welded frame from an accident? Yea, Id pass if it were me.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Beast2.0
More Turbo
Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts
Have you reached out to your insurance company yet? They should be fighting for you if they are in agreement on needed repairs.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,546 Likes on 1,102 Posts
If is under clear to me..is geico the other insurance company? Why are they not paying for the rental if so?

Old 02-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Gary F
Junior User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The sectioning your talking about most likey will come with a complete fame assy being sent to the repair facility. The shop will section off from the new frame then onto your existing frame the piece needed. Ford does offer a sectioning procedure on Ford Trucks. So if the Veh Mfg allows it, this is why the Insurance Company is going with that procedure. Full frame replacement is 100% mechanical type work and the body shop unless they have a Tech in-house to compleet this. They will most likely sublet the replacement to a mechanic or Dlrshp Ser Dept.

You always want to minimize the repairs regardless of opinion on how this should be handled. Frame's are about $3-k for the part plus 30 hours to replace. Sectioning the effected area will be less, In the end, you can have your claim assessed for DV.

The other challenge in sectioning the frame, is leaving evidence of the sectioning procedure. Frames are not like body panels that can be metal finished with plastic filler and then primed & painted. Cavity wax / undercoating is the only material sprayed onto the frame. Like any repair for Mechanical or Collision, workmanship of the Tech is extremely important.

Last word of caution. Some states require the vehicle title to be branded if a complete frame assy is replaced, if you consider pushing for this, know your States regulations on this.

Gary

Old 02-28-2020, 02:42 PM
BigTexDiesal
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
**** body shop should have never returned truck before repaired correctly. WTF you played quality assurance when it was their job. Diminished value should equal damage. In texas diminished value is law. Amount isn't. Go to carfax after repairs obtain value, then tell them about wreck and cost of repairs, the difference is diminished value. Geicko, progressive bottom of barrel just someone to take to court....

Old 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 148 Likes on 73 Posts
Diminished value for sure. If the cost to fix it right is too much... depending on your coverage that is... Its a total...The car fax is already out there. Then when you go to sell it your going to have people who wont even consider it once they see the sectioned frame. I have some concern with the fully boxed frame as well. There will be heated?welded areas inside that will not be properly coated for corrosion.
From a strictly functional perspective Im sure the truck can be repaired to fully functioning and safe. But the unfortunate reality is you have been deprived of value. It sucks.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 945 Likes on 746 Posts
Can they pull it out?

Old 02-28-2020, 06:41 PM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts
The frame section repair will be fine. Although Geico is a cut rate insurance company and I would never use them, even if their commercials make me chuckle.

Quick Reply: 2017+ Frame Damage