2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Do you ever regret buying a long bed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:37 PM
gravedgr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you ever regret buying a long bed?

My current F150 has the 5.5 bed and my Tacoma was a short bed as well. A couple of times, I wish I'd had a 6' bed, but the shorter beds have helped making already long trucks (supercrew & double cab) more maneuverable in parking lots (and they tend to be tight around here).

I'd planned to order my F350 with the short bed, but the extra 14 gallons of fuel capacity are really pushing me to get the long bed. That would mean a truck that is 58" longer than the Tacoma I drove just 12-13 months ago.

For you guys who opted for a crew cab long bed, have you ever regretted getting such a long truck? What is your most common challenge (other than parking lots)?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Torvvald
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
8' bed in back of my supercab....love it and wouldn't trade it for anything shorter. Have had zero problems and no challenges...

Old 07-30-2018, 09:49 PM
hula1589
Junior User
Originally Posted by gravedgr
My current F150 has the 5.5 bed and my Tacoma was a short bed as well. A couple of times, I wish I'd had a 6' bed, but the shorter beds have helped making already long trucks (supercrew & double cab) more maneuverable in parking lots (and they tend to be tight around here).

I'd planned to order my F350 with the short bed, but the extra 14 gallons of fuel capacity are really pushing me to get the long bed. That would mean a truck that is 58" longer than the Tacoma I drove just 12-13 months ago.

For you guys who opted for a crew cab long bed, have you ever regretted getting such a long truck? What is your most common challenge (other than parking lots)?
I drive a 16 CCLB now (2019 Long Box ordered) coming from a F150 short box. It took a little bit getting used to but after driving it you learn how to handle the Cowboy Caddy of a F350 Long Box and the added bed length was convent for me especially while redoing my garage and loading sheetrock into the truck bed and closing it.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:50 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 345 Likes on 243 Posts
No regrets at all, I've had this type of truck all my life too. Big cab, big engine, big bed.....its a truck. Short bed trucks to me are useless, nothing fits right and the tail gate is usually left open to haul cargo, (doesn't make sense). I have no desire to park this thing in the garage either.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
My last seven Super Duties were all long beds. Haven't been without a long bed since my 2001.

If you keep it in a garage, just make sure you're still good there. But other than that, its the only way to go for me.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 PM
KyF350
Senior User
No regrets with long bed. I owned one short bed, a '07 and wished I had gone back long bed. My CCLB are long, but you can't beat the ride and the room in the bed. Takes a little more room to turn around, but I'll deal with that for the ride. And to add to the long bed, I'm awaiting my second dually, a '19 CCLB Lariat Ultimate, now you have a long and wide truck, but it does fit in the garage, drove a '17 home for a few days but decided to wait for a '19.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No regrets on the CC LB mines a Lariat ultimate. Love the extra fuel capacity, and it’s nice not always having to play rubics cube camping or loading the fence posts or dimensional lumber. Does take some getting used to, mine fits in my garage too. Long trips and towing I like the way it handles to, better than the shortbox crew before, youngest doesn’t get motion sick as much either.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:59 PM
gravedgr
Senior User
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties
My last seven Super Duties were all long beds. Haven't been without a long bed since my 2001.

If you keep it in a garage, just make sure you're still good there. But other than that, its the only way to go for me.
No garage for me. We have a freezer that takes up some of the space to pull in fully, so the Tacoma was the only thing I could fit in there and it had about 2-3" front and rear. The F150 does not fit, and the SD would stick out almost 5' into the driveway.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Lees350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My old truck f-350 SRW. Short bed... That I regret. I pull a 5th wheel and numerous times I wished I had the long box. I now have a 450 with the long box and I am never going back to a short box. Oh and the small tank will drive you nutz if you do any sort of long trips. Absolutely hated the small tank.

Edit: Well I was able to change my signature.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Nope. I have regretted a short box though.
I am back in a 8 foot bed and all is right in the world again.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:19 PM
62KR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No regrets with a longbed. Expecially with all the cameras, it is easier to simply back in when parking. We have a short bed ram 1500 that is the "car". It does have it's uses, but normally when we have to take it instead of the F350 it is because of clearance issues not length issues. There was a short period of time that it was my camping vehicle while waiting for my custom order to arrive. Had trouble taking all the kids bikes, firewood, etc. With the longbed, the only downside is I always feel like I am forgetting something since the bed is never full.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Faceplant409
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Parking lots, big cities and drive throughs.
Ive had a CCLB since 06 and only for a second considered a SB this time.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 PM
disker
Senior User
No regrets here! Its my 3rd CCLB never considered a short bed. Longer wheel base rides smoother too. My brother in law and father in law both have short beds, its kind of pathetic what they can haul. Brother in law has a huge spare tire that will not fit under the truck--so he has the tire in the bed and it takes up darn near the whole thing. Long bed all the way!

Have to admit though, it gets kind of dicey when you get up a longing road and you have to back it out--not fun. Or if you get stuck in a snow bank and have to dig out that mile long truck, short bed might be nice then.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 AM
CyclonicTracy72
New User
I am glad that somebody else has posted this thread, as I was wondering the same thing. I have ordered a 2019 F350 King Ranch Dually Ultimate, and I am about to come out of a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins short box Laramie. I was on the verge of having splinters in my **** from sitting on the fence with my cab/box configuration. I went for the long box as I wanted to run a slip tank in my bed, and a short box would leave me with no room for anything else. I went a step further and ordered a dually because of the 4.10 gear ratio option. I also justified my decision on the fact that I work out of a RAM 3500 dually field service truck on a daily basis, and I don’t have any problems with it. I have just accepted the fact that I will sometimes have to park and go inside instead of the drive through.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:29 AM
pickerdd
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No regrets here on purchasing the long bed. It's a beast for hauling and towing. The large fuel tank is pretty darn nice too!

Quick Reply: Do you ever regret buying a long bed?