S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Still Dodging Bullets, Whew!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:57 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Still Dodging Bullets, Whew!

You know that sinking feeling you get when you're 2500 miles from home and you get a phone call from the house-sitter that says, "Every time I turn on the air conditioning, the lights get really dim"? Well, that's what happened last week when we were in Charleston, SC.

We got home and I tried it for myself. Yup! Same thing. Compressor wasn't turning, but drawing a heckuva' LOT of current. That can't be good!

Climbed up on the roof (a 3-1/2-ton Carrier "package unit") and opened up the service panel. Poked around and found what's in the picture below. The bulge at both ends was a good clue!

A trip to Grainger this morning (and $40 later), the lights don't dim, and the duct temperature is about 20* colder than room temperature (again)!

Cheap fix to what could have been thousands.

Just in time, too, as it's supposed to be warm this week.

Pop

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2014, 06:45 PM
djed
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Climbed up on the roof (a 3-1/2-ton Carrier "package unit") and opened up the service panel.

Pop
The way the wind was blowing, I am glad you made it down from there. Good job!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
nice easy fix pop!

i got 3 service calls this week to do (naturally the hottest frigging week so far) , they involve either upgrading to a 200Amp service or replacing a 25+ yr old 200Amp services because the AC systems that have been added to the homes have smoked the existing panels.....

Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
.... replacing a 25+ yr old 200Amp services because the AC systems that have been added to the homes have smoked the existing panels.....
Those old Zinsco panels with aluminum bus bars?

Crocus cloth and Penetrox (or NoAlOx) will work wonders!

I've done a couple out in salt-air-heavy Port Hueneme, and the "flickering" problems have just completely disappeared!

You've gotta' remove the meter to do it ALL properly, however (getting ON as well as off the bus).

Acid brush the anti-oxidant on un-sparingly!

Pop

Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
typicaly when we are called and the pannel is a Zinsco its too late and the main breaker has went into meltdown and taken the buss bars with it.

also the guy i work for wont clean them, because once you have touched it...... anything happens your the "last guy" and liability falls on you... and boy are customers quick to point and blame somebody/anybody.

also people for the most part ar just too stupid to understand when there new and shiney AC system draws 30 and 40 amps on start up or running that a 50 or 60 amp rated main breaker or pannel board just wont last at 60% or better of its rated capacity, on top of the washer full of clothes going, all the frigging lights on in the building, electric stove/oven going.

anyways, one of those service changes should be easy, remove the 200amp panel and replace with new 200amp panel. apparently the main breaker went into meltdown and replacement buss bars and breakers are not available anymore for that model panel.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:09 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
typicaly when we are called and the pannel is a Zinsco its too late and the main breaker has went into meltdown and taken the buss bars with it.

also the guy i work for wont clean them, because once you have touched it...... anything happens your the "last guy" and liability falls on you... and boy are customers quick to point and blame somebody/anybody.

also people for the most part ar just too stupid to understand when there new and shiney AC system draws 30 and 40 amps on start up or running that a 50 or 60 amp rated main breaker or pannel board just wont last at 60% or better of its rated capacity, on top of the washer full of clothes going, all the frigging lights on in the building, electric stove/oven going.

anyways, one of those service changes should be easy, remove the 200amp panel and replace with new 200amp panel. apparently the main breaker went into meltdown and replacement buss bars and breakers are not available anymore for that model panel.
I sure understand "the last to touch it" mentality.

I guess I've been lucky in life, and never been sued. Of course, I don't cut costs or craftsmanship, and "if it ain't right, it just ain't right"!

I've eaten my share to make it right. And, in the end, it's GOT to be right!

But I can respect the guys that don't want to be the last one to touch it.

Sometimes it makes more sense to just pass the cost on to the owner to preserve our own. But that's not usually my take.

You have to choose your customers properly, too, and do the job the best you know how.

And you KNOW how!

Pop