Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May All Topic

Somebody's got to get it going, might as well be me

Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
"...and fire flew from his fingertips as he rosined up his bow."

Last weekend was opening of trout season, eastern Sierra's. As usual, we attended this event.

Left home after work on Thursday and drove as far as the Manzanar Internment camp. We overnighted on the abandoned Manzanar Airstrip. This strip is from the WWII era and is in pretty good shape. It could easily be used for an emergency landing, or more likely for surreptitious racing or smuggling, so we stay off the landing area. We parked on pads where they tied down aircraft near the taxiway. The rings are still there, and some building foundations. If you find yourself in the area, maybe attending a Manzanar historical event, consider camping out there. It is far enough from the highway to be very quiet.

Friday early we drove the rest of the way up Big Pine canyon to the campground. Got camp setup and snow was already beginning to fall. Ended up snowing all day on Friday. Didn't really start to stick until evening, and by the next morning we had a couple of inches accumulation.

Fishing wasn't much good after the cold snap. Got a few on Saturday. All we needed, but less than I wanted. Just as I was cleaning my catch that evening, sirens from 3 BPFD vehicles showed up, plus a CHP shortly thereafter. A gentleman had fallen while fishing and suffered a compound fracture of his leg just below the knee. My buddy has a satellite phone and had called for help on that, saving the guy considerable time before help arrived. We helped them with the recovery of the stretcher. It took all of us to get the load up to the campground road and trucks. That entire canyon is steep and boulder filled.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 134 Likes on 128 Posts
Wow, 97 degrees here, and snow on the other side of the mountain. Ouch, compound fractures are not fun. He will be laid up for awhile. Glad you were able to help.

Jim

Old 05-02-2014, 12:15 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
awesome pictures there bill! and one heck of a story!

nothing wild to report here, still trying to figgure out where the hell the last 4 months went......

had my 5x10' flatbed trailer out on loan for a extended period of time, just got it back yesterday. i added 3 clearance lights on the rear of the trailer and ran out of time to repack and tighten the wheel bearings. the guy i had it on loan to i had asked him to install the lights and do the wheel bearings..... apparently it was above his skill set. really no big deal as it gave me some one on one time with the trailer and see what other work it needs. i am thinking a full rewire in in order to tidy up the hanging wires now that all the lights are present. and some day paint it haha. trailers at least 15yrs old and i rewired it 8yrs ago.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I'll be crawling under mine in about 2 weeks to wire my lights, or I may just pay my neighbor mechanic to do it. Crawling under vehicles/trailers is not something I can do easily with this uncooperative knee.

Jim

Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Evening So Cal.
Never can predict the weather in the Eastern Sierra's. My wife taught school in Lee Vining for two years.
Great pictures.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:43 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
I'll be crawling under mine in about 2 weeks to wire my lights, or I may just pay my neighbor mechanic to do it. Crawling under vehicles/trailers is not something I can do easily with this uncooperative knee.

Jim

i highly recommend the rubber mounted semi truck style lights, they mount almost flush to the surface and when hit "usually" just push in and are not damaged. also they look 100 times cleaner. ALSO! can be fount at any truckstop for on the road repairs late at night. and non LED only cost a few bucks each.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Good morning from Charleston, SC!

Damn Travel Mouse has un-paired itself with this laptop, and I'm really not good with touch pads, so I am struggling. It wants a password to re-pair the Bluetooth connection, which is news to me!

Modern Problems............. Uggh!

Pop

Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
i highly recommend the rubber mounted semi truck style lights, they mount almost flush to the surface and when hit "usually" just push in and are not damaged. also they look 100 times cleaner. ALSO! can be fount at any truckstop for on the road repairs late at night. and non LED only cost a few bucks each.

Thanks for the tip. The ones I am looking at are square, and can be had for $4.90 each. I would love to go with LED's but for now just want to get something on the trailer so I will be legal. I think the 3 light bar is $29.95 so for just under $50 (without tax) I will have a full set. Will go down today and get them before I do my grocery shopping.

Jim

Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Good morning from Charleston, SC!

Damn Travel Mouse has un-paired itself with this laptop, and I'm really not good with touch pads, so I am struggling. It wants a password to re-pair the Bluetooth connection, which is news to me!

Modern Problems............. Uggh!

Pop
Administrative password? Or just a password? If administrative, it would be the one you used to set up your user account on that computer, if a regular password, then I have no idea. Don't have any bluetooth devices on any of my computers. Don't know if they need a password to connect or not.

Jim

Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Duplicate post. Real one to follow.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Well, the intermittent touch pad problem has miraculously healed itself, and the laptop has decided that it will accept the travel mouse without a password being necessary.

Voila, and muy bueno!

I can use this thing again! Whew!

Pop

Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 954 Likes on 689 Posts
Put a little air in those tires and drive her west on 66.

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evening Steve, Bill, Justin, Marv and Sean

-The Great

Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 954 Likes on 689 Posts
You found us! Say, your hearing is pretty good Clint.

Hmm, we're still on page 1 of the May thread and y'all are on page 15!

Quick Reply: May All Topic