1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

adding seat belts to a 59

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 11:50 PM
laynrubber
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like seat belts and i want to add them to my 59. I haven't crawled around the truck to check how i want to do this yet but i'm sure i can invent something.
I was just going to install some lap belts from what ever Ford i could find in the local junk yard.

Anyone have some pointers for me, do this don't do that, what type of belts to use, best method of anchoring.

p.s. how does the search work here, i can't seem to do it.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:49 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to keep it all ford this will not be any help. I ran lap belts for years but didn't like them. They were aftermarket. I installed s10 seat belts they fit well I did need to make some brackets and a bracket in the upper corners of the cab for the sholder strap.

Old 05-22-2003, 12:01 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shaune,
If you're just going with lap belts and no shoulder harnesses, go with this:

1. look at any other truck and see how/where they anchor the seat belts;

2. sit in the driver's side of your truck. Take a rough measurement of how long the belt has to be coming from each side (the male end and the felmale end) to approximately where you intend to anchor the belts (see step 1 ).

3. when you buy seat belts (salvage yard or reman's), if they don't already come with the hardware (ie, the pivoting anchor bolts/washers), get some!

4. mark where they go, drill a hole on each side (one to anchor the male belt, one for the female side of the belt). Screw those puppies in, and away you go!!

5. Repeat Steps 1 through 4 for passenger side!!!

Piece of cake; don't sweat it!
Daryl