1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs light diagnosis help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Fordfleet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abs light diagnosis help

First, let me say that I did search, but couldn't come up with the answer. I have a '96 Super Club 1 ton van with a 460 and 4.10 LS rear. The ABS light comes on occasionally and stays anywhere from a few minutes or until I shut the van off. It is a '96, but is an OBDI system, not OBDII. Short of the Ford dealer, how do I check the code? It has the OBDII-style connector under the dash. OBDII scanners will NOT pick up the code. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old 04-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
abs light diagnosis help

Hi Fordfleet and welcome to FTE

Does your van have 4 wheel ABS or just rear wheel?
The diagnosis is different for both of them.
Seeing that a scanner wont pick up a code I'm going to assume it is just rear wheel ABS. The manual for this is very confusing. Van manuals arent always the best

Here is what the manual says for retrieving a code.........
If this works post the code that you get and I can post the pinpoint test for it. You should get between 2 and 16 flashes.
The diagnostic connector they are talking about should be under the right side of the dash. One side of the connector will have the black with orange stripe wire. I think the other half of the connector should have a red wire to it.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving

NOTE: Verify the key is in the RUN position (engine does not need to be running). Next, locate the black RABS II diagnostic connector. The diagnostic connector has two mating halves (one of which has a black/orange wire connected to it). Disconnect the two halves.

Attach one end of a jumper wire to the black with orange stripe wire side of the diagnostic connector. Momentarily ground the opposite end of the jumper wire by connecting it to a good chassis ground for 1-2 seconds. Grounding this wire should start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing. If grounding this wire does not start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing, go to the Symptom Chart .

CAUTION: Care must be taken to connect only the black/orange stripe wire to ground. Connecting the mating connector wire to ground will result in a blown fuse.

The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates diagnostic trouble Code 4. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off. It is recommended that the code be verified by reading it several times. This code will be used later for system repair instructions. It should be written down for future use. A diagnostic trouble code of 16 will be obtained when the anti-lock electronic control module detects normal system operation.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Erasing

The last step of the System Pre-Check always includes clearing the Keep-Alive Memory (KAM). To do this, simply turn off the ignition while the diagnostic connector halves are separated as described in the procedures for obtaining the diagnostic trouble code above, after which the diagnostic connector should be reassembled to provide KAM power to the anti-lock electronic control module. If at this time a valid code has been obtained, go to the appropriate pinpoint test for that code.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Fordfleet
New User
abs light diagnosis help

Well, after some looking, I did not find the connector ANYWHERE under the dash. However, next to the EECIV connector under the hood, I found a round connector with 3 prongs, one of the wires being black with an orange stripe. It had a label that said "brake test" attached to it. What the heck do I do with that? Does it have to go to the dealer? By the way, I tried grounding the black/orange wire, to see if it worked the same as it would have had that connector been under the dash. It didn't. No ABS light blinking. Next question: I just want the damn ABS light off. What can I disconnect and turn it off? I may just go in the dash an take the bulb out. I know how to properly brake a vehicle, and the lack of ABS won't bother me at all. I'm in Houston, so no snow to worry about. HELP!!!

Old 04-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Fordfleet
New User
abs light diagnosis help

Problem solved. Disassembled instrument cluster, and pulled out the bulb.

Old 04-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
abs light diagnosis help

Whatever works