1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine running kinda wierd. Need a direction to run...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 PM
dyhrdford
Tuned
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Engine running kinda wierd. Need a direction to run...

Hey guys. My 7.3 is running kinda weird and somewhat difficult to explain. Sometimes I can feel a high-frequency, low pitch vibration while the engine is at idle. Ambient and coolant temp do not seem to cause any difference. I brake torqued the truck in both forward and reverse and observed the engine. I do not believe that I have a bad motor mount, but I'm not ruling it out just yet. I performed a contribution test with my Taskmaster and it passed no problems. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!!
Aaron

Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 AM
dyhrdford
Tuned
Still a big mystery to everyone else as it is to me, huh??

Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing I would check is the tensioner pulley and the idler puller for side movement. You say you can "feel" it.. can you hear it.. ? Also, check you turbo wheel ..

Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 PM
dyhrdford
Tuned
Thanks for the reply. I was JUST thinking about checking the front dress stuff on my way home last night. I can only feel it, I have not heard it. I will have to check the turbo, but wouldn't I feel the turbo go out of balance as it spools faster not slower, as well as hear it bounce off the housing?? Also, if the turbo shaft was moving around wouldn't it be passing oil thru the seals causing excessive smoke and/ oil dropplets in the exhaust???

Aaron